Re: [bolger] Re: small steel hulls

  • Pierce Nichols
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2009
      Jim,

      Trained professionals also regularly suffer life-threatening or fatal injuries in wood-based manufacturing and construction industries. I think the things you have observed have more to do with the size of the work and the pressures under which the work is done than the fundamental character of woodworking vs metalworking.

      I also the think the problems you identify (and I think you're correct in nearly every particular) are properties of boat building in any material and are not fundamentally particular to steel. Building a good boat requires skills, and those skills get more important as the boat gets larger.

      -p

      On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Wilderness Voice <thewildernessvoice@...> wrote:

      John
      I think you do me a disservice. I do think that inheritently that steel boat building is far more dangerous than woodworking. In addition those injured in the shipyards are often professionals with yrs of experience and knowledge. Steel boat building is not something to be entered into casually and the common tools of boat building are all dangerous. If you read my posts as intended you will see that I have recommended:
      1. using existing plans designed for steel\
      2. getting training as needed
      3. being knowledgeable about using tools properly and to the safety rule

      Steel boatbuilding can be done at home, but it takes more study to do it safely, in addition a shoddy boats problems may not show up until it passes to the next owner.
      Jim