Leeway Prevention

  • prairiedog2332
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2009
      I read that with a "slab-sided" keel like on the Micro series it holds
      way more from the area of the keel's resistance on the downwind side
      than from actual lift being generated. I think it was in the write-up
      for the One Person Liveaboard that Mr. Bolger talks about that. Also the
      resistance from the boxy hull itself.

      So it works best in water that is not drifting itself - say as in a
      tidal current or water that has begun to move on the surface from
      persistent winds over a period of time. Therefor not the best design for
      an off-shore boat I would suggest. Micro was designed for more sheltered
      waters in the Ft. Myers area that is protected by a series of islands
      off-shore.

      He also talks about an end-plate on such a shallow keel would probably
      help a lot IF built strong enough to prevent damaging it when grounding
      or launching. This is mentioned on the write-up on BOBCAT in BWAOM where
      he talks about rudder end plates.

      Nels