Re: [bolger] Re:Lapstrake or Steel Long Micro

  • Christopher C. Wetherill
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2009
      My only point in mentioning lifeboats was that steel boats could be made.  I too think that steel is not the best medium for this size boat.

      I think the best option if reliable plywood is not available is strip plank.  Glued lapstrake uses plywood, and conventional lapstrake requires developed skills.  I suppose one could plank edge to edge and build a micro-type hull, but there would be a lot of seams to caulk on a yearly basis.  It would also be likely to work the seams loose because it would lack the diagonal stiffness of the plywood.

      V/R
      Chris

      Peter wrote:
      I shouldn't tell the Dutch that you can't build small steel
      boats,they've been doing it for the last 150 years.

      I don't think anyone said you can't build a small steel boat. I know what I said was the building a small boat designed for ply out of steel is bad idea. That's a different thing.

      Separate topic: I noted that on the cruise ships that I have been on, most of the lifeboats were of the round-bottom, 5kt type, but there were two with high-speed bottoms and capable of planning speeds. The latter are used to transfer passengers to/from shore when the mother ship is moored offshore. All fiberglass, of course.