Re: [bolger] Re: Lapstrake

  • Christopher C. Wetherill
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2009
      I agree completely.  The problem is that you would need to essentially redesign the structure of the hull and this is not trivial.

      Walter wrote:
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher C. Wetherill" <wetherillc@...> wrote:

      Bear in mind that Chebacco is designed for _glued_ lapstrake.  This
      construction style is dependent on the plywood for stability.  I suspect
      building this style with sawn planks would lead to failure along the
      grain.  Why not look for a design that uses strip construction?

      V/R
      Chris

      I think that if you built  a Chebacco using traditional lapstrake construction, you would have to add framing. In traditional lapstrake construction, especially in round bilged dories such as the Swampscott, there are several sawn frames which define the shape of the boat. The boat is planked up around these frames, then intermediate bent frames are added between the sawn frames. I see no reason why this style of construction couldn't be used for a Chebacco. It has been successful for a hundred years or so. John Gardner's "Dory Book" has an excellent description of the technique.