Re: [bolger] Re: Streached Catfish

  • Doug Pollard
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 16, 2009
      prairiedog2332 wrote:

      > Hi Simon,
      >
      > I think I "get the picture". You will be probably coasting from
      > Coloundra down to Diamond Head to start off with and maybe into Pelican
      > Waters and Bells Creek? Thereby avoiding the tide rips for the most part
      > but requiring "beachability" in a hull that is quite seaworthy and
      > sleeps four.
      >
      > I see the NIS26 draws 30 cm (12") with the board up.
      >
      > http://www.nisboats.com/mainpages/nis26.html
      > <http://www.nisboats.com/mainpages/nis26.html>
      >
      > This is the same as the Chebacco, whereas the Beachcat, probably a bit
      > less. I am pretty sure Caroline and Caprice draw less than that, as does
      > the Martha Jane.
      >
      > The reason I say that is that Michalak drew plans for a design (Called
      > Eisbox) with the same inboard rudder set-up as the two Bolger designs
      > and stated, "I don't care for the rudder set-up for two reasons: It
      > effectively doubles the draft and I prefer a deep (kick-up) rudder for
      > steering. (Compared to the shallow rudder with end plate.) The Eisbox
      > man was sure the draft would not prevent him from dry shoe beaching in
      > his area, time will tell." However the boat was never built and Jim
      > withdrew the plans from his plans pages. The big advantage of the
      > inboard rudder is the motor location, right on the centerline, nice to
      > have if you have to motor sail.
      >
      > Both Micro and Long Micro are quite beachable as well since the forward
      > section of the keel is very shallow, althought the stern draws about 40
      > cm. So best with a beach that has some slope to it.
      >
      > Two other Michalak designs, based on the Micro, but without a keel
      > protruding below are Picara and Blobster, both with the aft deck large
      > enough to sleep two in the cockpit.
      >
      > I would choose a design with a cat yawl rig, as the mizzen is a great
      > advantage over a cat rig, for a beginning sailor.
      >
      > Nels
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "simonfbroad" <simonfbroad@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Yes, Pummicestone Passage is north of Deception Bay, it's the water
      > between the mainlaind and Bribie Island. We are at the very northern
      > end, not far from Golden Beach.

      The micro may be beachable in tidal waters but I don't think the long
      micro is. After all in tidal waters when the tide goes out and fairly
      heavy boat sets on the beach you might say it's beachable.The thing is
      can you drag it back off the beach before the tide comes back in. I have
      a 20ft Elver and it sure as heck is not beachable from any practical
      stand point in tidal waters. A lake is another thing. With my Elver it's
      not a problem to step off in a foot of water and wade ashore but in most
      locations it better not be at high tide. You will find yourself grunting
      and groaning as you try to push a 900 lb boat back into the water.
      Doug