Sweet Pea with motor????

  • Mark Mirski
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
      GBroadlick@... wrote:

      --> 'You have a power boat, i suggest sweat pea, she rows nice, will
      hull a load, sails sweet and will go forever with a 2 hp motor."

      I have plans for a Bolger Sweet Pea but have been dragging my heels on
      beginning the project because I haven't been able to figure out the
      optimum way to mount my 2hp Honda.

      I had been attempting to think of ways That I might modify the stern end
      of the slipping keel, through hull area, to drop in the outboard as well.

      Any thoughts out there on the matter?

      Any one with a motor on or in a sweet pea interested in sharing their
      experiences???

      I may go to an alternate Bolger skiff design.

      Best to all.

      Mark Mirski anshin@...
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
        I hadn't thought about the Diablo, how stable is for boarding by creaky
        old guys. It would be over a boarding step across the transom

        HJ

        Walter wrote:
        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Anybody got any recommendations for a tender out of the Bolger
        >> repertoire for a classic 65 footer. I crew on it and may be skippering
        >> it soon. The current hard bottom zodiac with 15 hp just doesn't look
        >> right. It needs to go ashore over crappy beaches, be easy to get in and
        >> out of for old creaky folks. Having the ability to pack a pot puller and
        >> downriggers would be a plus. It goes on and off the aft cabin with a
        >> boom lift powered by hydraulics weight isn't to big an issue. It should
        >> look good. It would operate under power. My son thinks the boys launch
        >> would be the ticket, but he has wanted to build one since before being a
        >> teenager. Here is a couple of links to the host boat "Princeton Hall"
        >>
        >> http://www.dv.com/dv/magazine/2005/0105/DV0501whalesFig06.jpg
        >>
        >> http://www.intersea.org/images/prhall.jpg
        >>

        > I suggest Bolger's Diablo- it will run with a 15 HP motor, has a lot of reserve stability for pulling pots, fishing, etc, and you could easily reinforce the bottom for landing on rough beaches.

      • dnjost
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
          I second the motion for Diablo. I ran mine for 15+ years with a 10 HP longshaft 2 cycle Johnson. It would do an honest 12 kts with two people aboard. It was pretty good in most stuff except steep chop.

          We used to swim right off the transom or bow platform and I used it for flyfishing regularly. If I used better quality ply I would still be using it.

          It is a light boat and has a tendency to blow around when going slow, and if alone will do some scary stuff heading into the chop if the bow is not weighted down (put the battery up front).

          It is a cheap build and put good cloth with epoxy on the bottom. Perhaps 10 oz and you should be set. The 18' work skiff is much more boat in every way. Perhaps too much for the use you suggest.

          David Jost

        • Christopher C. Wetherill
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
            Harry,

            I think the real question is to see if the pot hoist ( I interpreted the original post to be referring to lifting something like a lobster pot) will cause problems.  It may be necessary to have a pad to absorb the impact of the pot on the side.

            Bear in mind also that the true effect of the weight of the boat is to raise the center of gravity of the host and increse the severity of any tendency to roll.

            I think also that the best approach may be to do a low cost build and replace it when the bottom abrades.

            V/R
            Chris

            Walter wrote:

[...]

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • adventures_in_astrophotography
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009
              Hi Harry,

              > I hadn't thought about the Diablo, how stable is for boarding by creaky
              > old guys. It would be over a boarding step across the transom

              The deadrise of Diablo's bilge panels makes it best to step onto the center of a thwart when boarding, in my experience. I like mine, but it's not the best boat for fishing. She's tippy once you start fighting or landing a fish, and anything left on the seats quickly winds up on the bottom of the boat. The deadrise and high freeboard could also make it awkward to reboard from a beach, although I've never tried it.

              Like someone else said, it tends to blow around, and this is especially true when I'm trolling at low speed with little weight forward. The 9.9 Honda I use is not enough to plane the boat, but I can get 11 mph or so at full throttle. My problem is the high elevation where I use the boat (8600').

              Diablo is a fine boat, but I think the work skiffs, with their heavy flat bottoms, would be better for boarding, fishing, and hauling pots aboard. They're also likely to pound more and be wetter. I'd like to try one sometime.

              Jon
            • david johnson
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009
                I had a cousin who crabbed out of a bolger sea hawk  for a couple of years  a dory type skiff he had her loaded hard most of the time I thought she was pretty stable not an instant boat but not that hard a couple of crabbers built one :) He had a two stroke johnnyrude 15 hp she would scoot

                Hi Harry,