Re: Tender for classic yacht

  • PAUL MCLELLAN
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2009
      You could look at the small clam skiff.  It is in boats with an open mind and also Dynamite Paysons new book.  It is a great geriatric boat and beaches well.  The ample storage means you are always ready to go with you safety and fishing gear well stowed.  The 15 will push it very well.  It is an easy build and really tough to take what you can give it.  The flat bottom is a dream to get in and out at dock, beside the mother craft or on the beach. With an imaginative paint job it could be very attractive.  The lines in the drawings do not do it justice.  regards Paul
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2009
        Shivaree, hands down. Check with SA to see if it has enough stability for the pot puller.

        PCB designed a small fleet of powerboats in the 12 to 20 foot range. Shivaree is the last in a line of development that began in the 1950's.
        PCB had Shivaree at his dock for some years at the end of his life, and didn't see a clear way to improve it. Some of the earlier ones might be of interest. IIRC, one is Hope, which is in the book Small Boats.

        I take it for granted that you want a planning boat. A displacement boat that will fit in the designed area would be limited to 5Kts or so.
      • Harry James
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2009
          I didn't know about the small Clam skiff, we thought about the regular
          one but it is too long. Think I will order up the plans from Payson.
          Good call

          HJ

          PAUL MCLELLAN wrote:

          > You could look at the small clam skiff. It is in boats with an open
          > mind and also Dynamite Paysons new book. It is a great geriatric boat
          > and beaches well. The ample storage means you are always ready to go
          > with you safety and fishing gear well stowed. The 15 will push it
          > very well. It is an easy build and really tough to take what you can
          > give it. The flat bottom is a dream to get in and out at dock, beside
          > the mother craft or on the beach. With an imaginative paint job it
          > could be very attractive. The lines in the drawings do not do it
          > justice. regards Paul

        • Harry James
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 2, 2009
            Shivaree has the looks but I think it is to much boat. If I remember
            correctly Phil's had a 50 HP on it when I saw it at the memorial. Hope
            definitely has the looks also and is much smaller.

            HJ

            Peter wrote:
            > Shivaree, hands down. Check with SA to see if it has enough stability for the pot puller.
            >
            > PCB designed a small fleet of powerboats in the 12 to 20 foot range. Shivaree is the last in a line of development that began in the 1950's.
            > PCB had Shivaree at his dock for some years at the end of his life, and didn't see a clear way to improve it. Some of the earlier ones might be of interest. IIRC, one is Hope, which is in the book Small Boats.
            >
            > I take it for granted that you want a planning boat. A displacement boat that will fit in the designed area would be limited to 5Kts or so.

          • david johnson
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 2, 2009
              I was going to suggest
              a fishermans skiff but it is only a 12 footer nice little boat though I have 2 freinds that built them use them to fish the lakes around here . I shortened a short clam skiff ( 14 feet I took it off the back end ) recently just have to get her in the water and see what she does . just a few random thoughts :)

            • GBroadlick@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 2, 2009
                you have a power boat, i suggest sweat pea, she rows nice, will hull a load, sails sweet and will go forever with a 2 hp motor.

                Peter wrote:
                > Shivaree, hands down. Check with SA to see if it has enough stability for the pot puller.
                >
                > PCB designed a small fleet of powerboats in the 12 to 20 foot range. Shivaree is the last in a line of development that began in the 1950's.
                > PCB had Shivaree at his dock for some years at the end of his life, and didn't see a clear way to improve it. Some of the earlier ones might be of interest. IIRC, one is Hope, which is in the book Small Boats.
                >
                > I take it for granted that you want a planning boat. A displacement boat that will fit in the designed area would be limited to 5Kts or so.

                > - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@ yahoogroups. com

              • Walter
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009

                  > Anybody got any recommendations for a tender out of the Bolger
                  > repertoire for a classic 65 footer. I crew on it and may be skippering
                  > it soon. The current hard bottom zodiac with 15 hp just doesn't look
                  > right. It needs to go ashore over crappy beaches, be easy to get in and
                  > out of for old creaky folks. Having the ability to pack a pot puller and
                  > downriggers would be a plus. It goes on and off the aft cabin with a
                  > boom lift powered by hydraulics weight isn't to big an issue. It should
                  > look good. It would operate under power. My son thinks the boys launch
                  > would be the ticket, but he has wanted to build one since before being a
                  > teenager. Here is a couple of links to the host boat "Princeton Hall"
                  >
                  > http://www.dv.com/dv/magazine/2005/0105/DV0501whalesFig06.jpg
                  >
                  > http://www.intersea.org/images/prhall.jpg

                  I suggest Bolger's Diablo- it will run with a 15 HP motor, has a lot of reserve stability for pulling pots, fishing, etc, and you could easily reinforce the bottom for landing on rough beaches.
                • Mark Mirski
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
                    GBroadlick@... wrote:

                    --> 'You have a power boat, i suggest sweat pea, she rows nice, will
                    hull a load, sails sweet and will go forever with a 2 hp motor."

                    I have plans for a Bolger Sweet Pea but have been dragging my heels on
                    beginning the project because I haven't been able to figure out the
                    optimum way to mount my 2hp Honda.

                    I had been attempting to think of ways That I might modify the stern end
                    of the slipping keel, through hull area, to drop in the outboard as well.

                    Any thoughts out there on the matter?

                    Any one with a motor on or in a sweet pea interested in sharing their
                    experiences???

                    I may go to an alternate Bolger skiff design.

                    Best to all.

                    Mark Mirski anshin@...
                  • Harry James
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
                      I hadn't thought about the Diablo, how stable is for boarding by creaky
                      old guys. It would be over a boarding step across the transom

                      HJ

                      Walter wrote:
                      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >> Anybody got any recommendations for a tender out of the Bolger
                      >> repertoire for a classic 65 footer. I crew on it and may be skippering
                      >> it soon. The current hard bottom zodiac with 15 hp just doesn't look
                      >> right. It needs to go ashore over crappy beaches, be easy to get in and
                      >> out of for old creaky folks. Having the ability to pack a pot puller and
                      >> downriggers would be a plus. It goes on and off the aft cabin with a
                      >> boom lift powered by hydraulics weight isn't to big an issue. It should
                      >> look good. It would operate under power. My son thinks the boys launch
                      >> would be the ticket, but he has wanted to build one since before being a
                      >> teenager. Here is a couple of links to the host boat "Princeton Hall"
                      >>
                      >> http://www.dv.com/dv/magazine/2005/0105/DV0501whalesFig06.jpg
                      >>
                      >> http://www.intersea.org/images/prhall.jpg
                      >>

                      > I suggest Bolger's Diablo- it will run with a 15 HP motor, has a lot of reserve stability for pulling pots, fishing, etc, and you could easily reinforce the bottom for landing on rough beaches.

                    • dnjost
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
                        I second the motion for Diablo. I ran mine for 15+ years with a 10 HP longshaft 2 cycle Johnson. It would do an honest 12 kts with two people aboard. It was pretty good in most stuff except steep chop.

                        We used to swim right off the transom or bow platform and I used it for flyfishing regularly. If I used better quality ply I would still be using it.

                        It is a light boat and has a tendency to blow around when going slow, and if alone will do some scary stuff heading into the chop if the bow is not weighted down (put the battery up front).

                        It is a cheap build and put good cloth with epoxy on the bottom. Perhaps 10 oz and you should be set. The 18' work skiff is much more boat in every way. Perhaps too much for the use you suggest.

                        David Jost

                      • Christopher C. Wetherill
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 3, 2009
                          Harry,

                          I think the real question is to see if the pot hoist ( I interpreted the original post to be referring to lifting something like a lobster pot) will cause problems.  It may be necessary to have a pad to absorb the impact of the pot on the side.

                          Bear in mind also that the true effect of the weight of the boat is to raise the center of gravity of the host and increse the severity of any tendency to roll.

                          I think also that the best approach may be to do a low cost build and replace it when the bottom abrades.

                          V/R
                          Chris

                          Walter wrote:

[...]

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                              mailto:bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com
                              mailto:bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • adventures_in_astrophotography
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009
                            Hi Harry,

                            > I hadn't thought about the Diablo, how stable is for boarding by creaky
                            > old guys. It would be over a boarding step across the transom

                            The deadrise of Diablo's bilge panels makes it best to step onto the center of a thwart when boarding, in my experience. I like mine, but it's not the best boat for fishing. She's tippy once you start fighting or landing a fish, and anything left on the seats quickly winds up on the bottom of the boat. The deadrise and high freeboard could also make it awkward to reboard from a beach, although I've never tried it.

                            Like someone else said, it tends to blow around, and this is especially true when I'm trolling at low speed with little weight forward. The 9.9 Honda I use is not enough to plane the boat, but I can get 11 mph or so at full throttle. My problem is the high elevation where I use the boat (8600').

                            Diablo is a fine boat, but I think the work skiffs, with their heavy flat bottoms, would be better for boarding, fishing, and hauling pots aboard. They're also likely to pound more and be wetter. I'd like to try one sometime.

                            Jon
                          • david johnson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 4, 2009
                              I had a cousin who crabbed out of a bolger sea hawk  for a couple of years  a dory type skiff he had her loaded hard most of the time I thought she was pretty stable not an instant boat but not that hard a couple of crabbers built one :) He had a two stroke johnnyrude 15 hp she would scoot

                              Hi Harry,