Becky Thatcher modification

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2009
      Pictures posted in Photos. There is a short video on YouTube ( "becky thatcher
      erie canal"), showing the disturbance at the bow at about 5 mph, with none seen at 2.5 mph.

      (Revised post, with a reference.) This is a heavily modified Phil Bolger/Susanne
      Altenburger Becky Thatcher. Becky Thatcher is designed having a sternwheel,
      driven by a dual-pedal arrangement. It is 19'-6" X 5', with a 4' bottom.

      Phil Bolger and Susanne Altenburger designed Becky Thatcher for a proposed, long
      Erie Canal trip. The boat was built, and you can read their articles in Messing
      about in Boats: V23 N18 Becky Thatcher and V23 N19 Becky Thatcher's Flipping
      Sternwheel.

      My boat does not have the sternwheel, and it has an extra foot of beam amidship,
      with further consequences for the hull lines. The internal structure shows Jim
      Michalak influences. It's built of 4' X 10' MDO and is about 20' x 6', 5'
      bottom. The slot-top cabin is removable, up or down in 5 minutes, allowing
      garage access. Headroom is 4' 11", so that, when I'm sitting on the aft box,
      there is just enough clearance for my hat. The boat is powered by either a noisy
      Yamaha 3 Hp or a silent Minn Kota 55# (12 volt) trolling motor. Two batteries
      are carried inside the center thwart. I've included a Michalak-like rudder and
      leeboard guard, toward rigging a 110 sq. ft. balanced lug. For sailing, I'll
      replace the cabin with an slot-top cuddy or just sail it as an open boat.

      Thus far, October 2009, we've used the boat mainly for one- to four-hour day-trips,
      on the Erie Canal between Pittsford and Fairport, NY. It has handled well
      in 1'-2' waves, Lake Ontario out of Irondequoit Bay, but would be better with a sail.
      While there is ample room, we don't foresee any overnight trips.

      Tom Andrews
      Fairport, NY