Keel Sharpie 55

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23, 2000
      FBBB --

      Many thanks to those who forwarded .jpg and .pdf files.

      This is a fun boat to look at and day-dream about!

      To my eye, it looks more like a scaled down Joseph Banks than
      anything else. Similiar lines, similiar sail plan.

      It's just a bit too long for my driveway. but it a cut level terrace
      into the front yard...

      Summer rental rates in this town continue to spiral out of sight. I
      wonder how many Summers out of my house it would cost to get the hull
      afloat? Think the bank will give me a loan to build a live aboard
      secured by future Summer rentals? ;-)

      YIBB, (and day-dreaming too!)

      David

      CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
      134 W.26th St. 12th Floor
      New York, NY 10001
      (212) 247-0296
    • David Ryan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 25, 2000
        FBBB -

        Lousy day to work with epoxy and I've worn my arms out sanding masts
        so I day-dreaming about the 55 some more.

        I guestimate about 50-60K to get her launched and underway. Anyone
        with more experience building big boxes want to give a guess?

        YIBB,

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 27, 2000
          FBBB --

          Weather is still crappy for boat building; you'd think this east wind
          would bring some surf at least, but it hasn't.

          So let's do some more day-dreaming about the KS 55.

          What would the hull thicknesses be on a boat like this? How about the
          longitudinals?

          Many of Bolger's round bilge models feature inboard engines, but
          this, as well at the AS29, AS39, and breakdown schooner are shown
          with outboard motors. Is this to make more space in the boat, avoid
          flammable vapors in the bilge, or something else?

          I'm also thinking where I'm going in this big sharpie, I'd rather
          have a diablo than a june bug. Think the boom can function as a crane
          to get the diablo on and off the deck?

          I guess I'm so excited because my first reaction to the Joseph Banks
          was "If it wasn't quite so big..." and the KS 55 looks a lot
          like a baby sister to me.

          Which brings up another point: transom bows. Bolger doesn't seem shy
          at all about using them, despite how good awful ugly they are. My
          impression from his writing it he doesn't think the additional length
          and material justifies the times when they are actually beneficial.
          Do the BDS, JB and KS55 predate this concept, or is something else
          going on?

          YIBB (and DDAB),

          David

          CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
          134 W.26th St. 12th Floor
          New York, NY 10001
          (212) 247-0296
        • Vince Chew
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 27, 2000
            David,

            I believe the reason for the bow transom is to get more volume at
            the bow, within the constraints of a set number of sheets of plywood
            in length, to support the main mast of a cat/yawl; also to allow the
            heel of the mast to swing through when lowering the mast. In one of
            his articles PCB referred to a temporary bow-piece to be used for
            offshore sailing to reduce the tendency of the bow transom to stop
            short against the back of a swell.

            Vince Chew
          • Frank Bales
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2000
              I read a thread on the KS55 going on back in July. Is anyone,
              building this boat (or has anyone built it)? Are plans available
              from PB&F?