Re: Self Draining Cockpit - Chebacco

  • William
    Message 1 of 39 , Oct 5, 2009
      Andrew,
      The sole of my self-bailing cockpit on my Long Micro sits about 3 or 4 inches above the waterline. The cockpit drains into the aft, free flooding well, and although I'll get water sloshing in the aft well, I've never had water backup into the cockpit.
      Bill, now in Texas
      Long Micro Pugnacious

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "BrianA" <bawrytr@...> wrote:

      > In principle the hole of a self-draining cockpit needs to be above the waterline. The higher and bigger the hole, the faster it drains. On my sailboat, there were holes in each aft corner of the cockpit and these were normally about 6" above the water line, but when heeled over good, one would dip below and then you would have a few inches of water sloshing around in the lee corner. One hole in the middle would have prevented most the water flowing in through the tubes when heeled over, but any water that did get in would fill up to the drain before starting to flow out.
      >
      > On a boat like Chewbacco you probably need to figure that your feet are going to get wet, or reduce the width and depth of the cockpit.
      >
      > Cheers, Brian
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" <a.c.l.yen@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I was wondering how high the floor of a self draining cockpit needs to be. I was browsing some Chebacco designs and noticed that the Chebacco RD is designed with a self draining cockpit.
      > >
      > > http://www.myasylum.com/sbf/messages/1785.html
      > > http://www.chebacco.com/articles/016/7/article_files/image018.jpg
      > >
      > > In this second link you can see the drain exiting over the heel of the rudder.
      > >
      > > On closer inspection the floor of the cockpit seems to be only about 3" above the WL. Is this enough to stop your feet getting wet? I have read elsewhere about a minimum of 9".
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Andrew
    • Mike John
      Message 39 of 39 , Oct 8, 2009
        They are sheet ply plans. A very low profile cabin the same as this drawing I think http://www.instantboats.com/chebacco.html

        Reduced drawings with building instructions.

        Mike

        On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Andrew <a.c.l.yen@...> wrote:

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Mike John <mikeduckboatman@...> wrote:

        > Chebacco 20 plans are in Payson's new book

        I haven't got Payson's book. Which plans has he got for the Chebacco in it, the same ones as are in BWAOM? Sheet ply only I presume. Which cabin? Are they the same plans Dynamite sells (or a reduced copy of same)?

        Andrew

        --
        Mike

        http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/r/indexes.htm