Re: [bolger] another question

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2009
      Most of Phil's plans show exactly what the bevels should be. If you
      can get BWAOM, the larger Brick w/ sail rig is in there and buildable.
      Mark

      On Oct 4, 2009, at 9:04 AM, Robert wrote:

      > what is the best way to compute the angle needed on the side pieces
      > of the bulkheads?
    • Rick Bedard
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2009
        > what is the best way to compute the angle needed on the side pieces
        > of the bulkheads?

        You can cut the bulkhead panels square to the long side, assemble dry, then take the bevels directly from the joint and plane the short side to eliminate the gap (or don't, and fill the gap with epoxy). They will match close enough for the boat to work whether or not they are exactly to the plans. Remember these are "Instant Boats". My experience is as Payson often said, that despite best efforts there typically is point in most boatbuilds where you begin "building to the boat" rather than "building to the plans".

        Rick

      • William
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2009
          Martin,
          FANTASTIC! I had seen an earlier video of your boat on its mooring and was hoping for more. The new video is great, both from the technical perspective of learning about a micro junk rig, and from the pure joy of seeing a Bolger box at play. Anyone filmed by Dylan Winter officially becomes a small boat celebrity. Autograph?
          Thanks for sharing.

          Bill, now in Texas
          Long Micro Pugnacious