Re: [bolger] Acquiring and usibility of Bolger plans

  • Bill Howard
    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 1, 2009
      Phil Bolger once wrote (I forget where) that when he got to the pearly gates and St. Peter asked, "What is your excuse?" he would reply, "I design small boats."  and St. Peter would have to let him in.

      When I get there, and St. Peter asks what is my excuse, and I reply, "I built a small boat," he will reply, "You are already in."

      Bill Howard
      Nellysford VA
      On Oct 1, 2009, at 9:16 PM, eric14850 wrote:

      http://www.common- sense-boats. com/
      http://www.instantb oats.com/

      Will get you plans to very good Bolger boat plans; all of which do what they claim to do, and all of which someone with enough skill to mix a cake mix of epoxi thickener and swing a hammer without breaking the other thumb too many times can build.

      If you really want to build a boat look at the boat plans, pick one that you like and think you can build, buy the plans and start building it. DO NOT PICK THE BOAT YOU THINK YOU CAN BUILD UNLESS IT IS A BOAT YOU REALLY ***l*i*k*e** *. All the plans from these two sources are very buildable and require a similar level of skill to build regardless of appearance. If you are dreaming of a larger cruising boat, pick a boat plan that will make a great dinghy for that dream cruiser.

      Bolger designed two boats that row/sail/power equally well. One looks really weird unless you take it to Bangkok and then it will look right at home (Thomaston Galley if I remember correctly. Choosing one of these boats means you won't have to choose what sort of boating you want to do. You will be able to do it all, well, and get to experiment in any ways you choose with rigs, oar design etc. if you don't want to follow Bolgers recommendations.

      Building time? A few weeks a few hundred dollars.

      An AS29 I'll estimate at 2000 hours and $12,000 to $15,000. (Anyone got an accurate accounting of their building time for their AS29?) I expect the source of AS29 plans is Bolger Assoc. If these or other large or complicated boat plans are what you are impatiently waiting for, stop pacing around and build a boat from the above sources. The time and experience will more than pay for themselves in saving and quality of workmanship on the larger boat.

      As for metric vs Standard: I hate metric. It has no relationship to the universe. The French got it wrong right along with their other brilliant idea of the same time period the 32 hour day. Somehow metric measurement didn't go the way of the 32 hour day and people keep trying to foist it on folks who want their world to have more connection with the universe. The inch is very close to the pyramid inch which relates to the cubit all of which have an amazingly close relationship with cosmic measurements which we can accurately measure today and to which metric has no close relationship.

      I find building to feet-inches- eights to be very quick and satisfying. Once used to it, I never made any mistakes I wouldn't have made with a metric rule. When I started building my cruising boat after building a couple of "instant" skiffs from Harold Payson, I had no one to ask what 6-11-5 meant and was building my boat before I was really confident the 5 was 5/8". The 6 was obviously feet and the 11 probably was inches, in which case the 5 had to be eights because if it was sixteenths somewhere in this table of offsets there would be an number over 7.

      Now you know more than I knew when I started building boats.

      Lastly, don't believe anyone about how much time and money it will cost you to build a boat. You can do this and that to save money and do it for half as much. A third as much! If you believe us you will realise building a boat will not get you on the water as cheaply or nearly as quickly as buying a used boat, and you will never have the satisfaction of saying, "Yes, I built my boat".

    • Christopher C. Wetherill
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 4, 2009

        I, tend to post a little too fast, and then realize I have left off a detail like this or ignored an important aspect of the post to which I am replying.  I considered posting a clarification, but decided to not post because it seemed like simplicity was an important aspect and Payson doesn't have the box keel version.

        Gene Tehansky wrote:
        The Sneakeasy is not the new one with the box keel or cutwater, or so I understand.  That one is obtained from PB&F...

        Gene T.

        On 2 Oct, 2009, at 1:57 PM, Christopher C. Wetherill wrote:

        Brick and Sneakeasy are both available from Payson.  They are very prompt.  I got Windsprint plans within a week via USPS.

        Robert wrote:

        ok i know this is a touchy subject for some reason but if Mrs. Bolger is't selling plans right now and there is no catalogue or web site showing his plans then how do we get plans from Phil Bolger and Friends? Next question is how can  you find out what plans are available and what kind of boat they depict.
        I myself would rather buy from Bolger than pay someone who isn't paying a mans widow royaltys. I plan to build a brick first as a tender for a Tennessee or Sneakeasy and just to get my hands dirty. I havent seen plans for either of the sharpies and i assume Mrs. Bolder is in possession of them. I am in no hurry for one of those plans so it isnt pressing right now but when i am ready to tackle the bigger boat i hope i can get those plans from boldger and friends so that the proceeds go to her and not someone bootlegging his plans.
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.
         com, "Dave Gentry" <alias1719@..
         .> wrote:
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.
         com, "eric14850" <eric14850@> wrote:
        . . . .
        NO NO NO . . . Common Sense boats, in their present incarnation, are pirating Phil Bolger designs - refusing to pay royalties, etc - and Phil Bolger and Friends have long asked that we not do business with them. And, I thought it was the consensus here to boycott them. All the Bolger designs "offered" by CSD can legitimately be had from Phil Bolger and Friends.
        Instantboats. com, on the other hand, is indeed an excellent and legitimate source of plans for Mr. Bolger's designs.