Re: Light Boat Trailer Woes (was: Eight inch wheels)

  • otter55806
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2009
      As most have said, forget the 8" tires, too small. Tires don't really have anything to do with being over sprung anyway. I've delt with this is the past by simply taking out as many leafs on the spring set as needed, making sure that when the remaining leaf/s, with the boat, fully loaded for travel, were still had some spring in them and were not flat. Also, for very light boats, light coil springs can be used instead of leaf springs. This is done on trailers meant for canoes, for example.
      Bob

      -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography" <jon@...> wrote:

      > Thanks to all for the sprited and informative discussion on trailer wheel size. I agree that properly maintained bearings and correct tire selection and pressure are keys to long distance, high speed trailering.
      >
      > My biggest problem has been finding something sprung correctly for light boats, especially if they're long. I made a big, expensive mistake a few years ago allowing a trailer manufacturer to recommend a model for my Diablo. It's sprung for 1200 lbs, which I'm sure you can understand is like carrying a superball on a trampoline. Keeping the boat steady on the trailer (big emphasis on "on") seems very hard on the boat, but so far no problems have come up besides anxiety. Still, I run low tire pressure, travel slow on my gravel road, and have no confidence in going any farther than the lake near my shop. I rarely use the boat because of this, which has actually made me an avid rower.
      >
      > In years past I had built two trailers explicitly for the Common Sense Skiff and Light Schooner, both of which work acceptably, so what was I thinking with the Diablo?! A relatively cheap 600 lb capacity "economy" fishing boat trailer has custom bunks I made for the 20' scaled Windsprint and will also carry a hefty river skiff I designed and built (coming soon to my web site). This trailer would carry Diablo nicely, but I'd have to shorten the tongue, change out the bunks, and swap heavy boats every time out.
      >
      > Light boats too long for the pickup bed have always been a problem. For the Long Light Dory and stretched Gypsy, I came up with long athwartships 2x6 bunks blocked up on short pieces of 4x4 bolted to a 7000 lb capacity utility trailer deck. This allows some spring in the bunks and the boats will travel well that way, but they still need to be transferred to a dolly for launching. It's not a good solution for long trips that are common out here, and now the trailer has been reconfigured for firewood, a season-ender. I can still get the long Gypsy to the nearest lake on the Windsprint trailer - it's only a semi-trampoline ride.
      >
      > I yearn for the trailer for these long and light boats that I can pull behind my 4-banger Escape instead of using my F-350 to pull a 150 lb boat on a 1000 lb trailer!
      >
      > The Trailex therefore caught my eye, but the cost and small wheels have always given me pause, and not because of rotation speed issues. I've got to worry about washboards, ruts, rocks, and occasional mud and even snow between my shop and the paved roads, washboards and rocks being the biggest issues. If it had 12" wheels, I'd probably have already bought one, but on the other hand I've only got 2.5 miles between my shop and pavement, so maybe the 8-inchers will work. I've got all winter to think about it, since I won't be going farther than the lakes by the shop before ice-on. Thanks again,
      >
      > Jon Kolb

    • prairiedog2332
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2009
        We have them all over where I live. The pipe spacing is about 6" I would
        say.

        I used to slow right down when going over them. Now I find the faster
        the smoother they are.

        I had heard that in some places the ranchers just paint lines across the
        road, if it is paved. Thought it might be an urban legend then saw them
        like that down in Wyoming and a couple places in Alberta.

        Nels

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher C. Wetherill"
        <wetherillc@...> wrote:

        > Jon,
        >
        > They have a fairly wide spacing don't they? It's been a few years
        since
        > I drove over one, but I bet the gap between bars is at least 4 inches.
        > I would think that would give a good shaking to 6-inch wheel sets.
        >
        > Chris
        >
        > adventures_in_astrophotography wrote:
        > > Hi Chris,
        > >

        > >> This may be superfluous, but do you cross the grates for keeping
        cattle
        > >> off the highway in range country?
        > >>

        > > Yes, there are three or four cattle guards on the way to the closest
        lake, and one between my shop and the highway for longer trips.