[bolger] FS bilgeboards

  • rbsharp@gateway.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 1999
      The FS bilgeboard trunks provide a 3/4" wide case for a 1/2" wide
      board. The outboard side of the case is the side of the hull. Lay in
      two vertical strips of 3/4" stuff and attach the inboard side of the
      case. There are no alignment considerations. The boards go in at an
      angle due to the hull flare and tend to float up sometimes in light
      airs. At higher speeds the leeway presses the boards against the case
      top and bottom. When you go onto a sand bar, they are impossible to
      pull up until you get the pressure off them. Having bent them under
      the boat, it was nice to have two of them so I could sail home. That
      is also why I am on my second set. Also, the shape or size or length
      of the board may not be too important. When I made my second set, I
      made each one 3" shorter than the old ones so I could cut them out of
      two pieces of ply. When I was building my boat I used to get a lot of
      advice from a friend who had built a boat. I always accepted his
      advice, but I always did it my way! I just pass that along to say that
      I am no expert. Chuck, do you also have a set of the FS plans?
    • CPCorreia@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 1999
        RB,

        I do have the plans for the FS.

        I would like to retro fit the boat as the plans specify but their are two
        issues. One, the inboard panel would have to be dropped in from an oversized
        cut on deck as it won't fit through the access openings. Second, how would
        you know for sure the right deminsions of the inboard panel. Access to the
        inside is, of course, very restricted.

        Thanks for the input.
        Chuck.