Re: How do you know which boat

  • Ron Magen
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2009
      Dick,
      From YOUR question {as well as similar wording form others - notably the
      'impatient ones'} I would guess this would be your first 'build'. I would
      also venture to guess that your interest is in the 'smaller boat' category.
      Being a 'one-man-shop' that is my primary interest - due to both physical
      limitations and inclination. It is also very much common sense, in MY
      opinion, for a beginning builder to start small anyway.

      In that light, there are a great many 'Bolger Plans' readily available.
      'Full Scale from 'Dynamite' Payson, and 'reduced' scale from his books. The
      advantage of getting a set of full-sized plans of larger {read 'more
      complex'} plans directly from the designer is two-fold; they will be the
      LATEST variant, and you will have access to the designer for building advise
      & other technical discussions.

      With the 'older' designs -some not so small- not only are they fairly easy
      to obtain, but there is a wealth of building experience available on Forums
      such as this.

      I would look at Payson's web-site for a fairly extensive extensive list of
      boats & books. Then I would look at the books in your local library {theirs
      or via 'Inter-Library Loan'}. Next do a 'Google Search' on the name of a
      specific boat that catches your interest - something that may have been
      mentioned here. These steps should get you started.

      The next step is to build simple PAPER {or thin Balsa wood} Models of the
      designs - so you can evaluate them in 3-Dimensions. Parenthetically, it will
      give you some idea of what you will have to do to ACTUALLY build them.

      Regards & Good Luck,
      Ron Magen
      Backyard Boatshop

      > Posted by: "dickpensil" dickpensil@... dickpensil
      > Date: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:21 pm ((PDT))
      > snip<
      > So with no catalogue or web site how did you guys find the plans for the
      > boat you wanted to build. I read somewhere that he had hundreds of small
      > boat plans drawn up over the years. I sure would like to peruse those
      > different boats to see which one I like best. . . .

      Scanned by iolo AntiVirus 1.5.8.3
      http://www.iolo.com
    • air ghun
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 28, 2009
        With over 700 boats the PB designed, some are very hard to find.  I will have to wait some time to find his "DAISY" design, a cedarstrip runabout.  Even googling the name came up with only 1 picture.

        Mike

        Date: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:21 pm ((PDT))