Re: [bolger] Re: Eight inch wheels

  • John Bell
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 27, 2009
      The over speed argument on the bearings is a red herring, IMO.  I've towed thousands of miles without bearing failure on 8" wheels at 70 mph (touching wood here) because I've kept up with lubrication. If this was such a problem, don't you think the market would have eliminated 8" wheels by now?

      I once made a mistake of buying an 8" spare rated only for 50 mph. It blew to bits on an a bridge expansion joint in just a few minutes of use. Using tires with the proper load and speed rating, no problems.

      One thing I'd add is that you can buy larger 5.70 x 8 tires for your 8" wheels  that are much larger in diameter than the standard 4.5 x 8'. These have a much higher load rating as well as have a diameter very similar to a 4.5 x 12 wheel/tire.

      On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 1:35 PM, ben_2_go <ben_2_go@...> wrote:

      Most 8 inch wheels are only rated to run 45 mph.Over speeding the bearings can over heat them and cause catastrophic failure.Be sure your set is rated to run highway speeds.