Re: Elegant Punt and Nymph?

  • scsbmsjoe
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 24 11:54 PM
      My Teal takes the 59sf sail but at the time I had a smaller Pirogue spritsail. I added a boom and it worked fine even without adjusting the mast position. The Elegant Punt was built for a neighbor kid as a rowboat only so I never sailed it. I a nervous about the idea of using the 59sf sail on EP, but I think the Pirogue sail would be good. I don't remember the area but I think it is 30 something. Actually, after looking it up I find it is a gaff sail, but it works fine as a spritsail.

      For a heavy adrenalin rush use the 59sf in a brisk wind if you are young and daring enough. On that note go to flicker and check out the Aussie skiff races. They really love the cutting edge.

      Jim Michalak's newsletters have a discussion of sail area math if you find that an alternate rig has a different center. It should be at the daggerboard/leeboard center or aft edge, something like that.

      On leeboards and rudder, I recommend Michalak's pivoting types rather than the clip on or anything fixed.

      Joe T