Re: [bolger] Memorial

  • mason smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
      Oh please let's not do it on twitter, guys. I'm not up for that. I too am wondering about where to anchor but am getting a chart and suppose it will become plain. 14 yr old daughter Maggie and I will launch our Micro, Pelican, from one of those (Long Wharf?) ramps in the Jones River, near (I guess) the J.R. Campground and also near Susanne. (By the way, all, that's how she spells her name.) We'd then motor in to Gloucester for the event, then back to anchor somewhere. Is there a better idea? Launching and anchoring in town seems less comfortable. And what about Sunday? A fleet sail, I hope, around the Cape, or out the Annisquam to the north, or out the Annisquam to the south? Perhaps the weather will advise.--- Mason
    • pindimarmicro
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
        Apologies to Susanne for misspelling, I think that may have been me!

        GregF

      • Susanne@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
          Hello Mason and all,
               Just brought Phil's memorial stone down from Vermont into town, ready to be set.

          Weather forecast is premium for both days - ergo no need for 'Rain-Date'.

          Who to stay where emerges as actual total 'fleet'-size emerges.
          So far Harbormaster is very cooperative.
          #1.: I'll check with GMHC crew on tying up on their piers overnight on the Inner Harbor; new heads installed for comfort...
          #2.: Other option is on your own hook in Dry-Out (!) Jones Creek.
          But post-Event cruise at night is perhaps 'adventurous' for the first-timer.  But may be not.  Download GOOGLE-EARTH images to 'flash-light'-guide you at part-throttle. I will light RESOLUTION's Outline Lights and our property's 'Oak Light' to guide you into the Cove up front or just towards its mouth top the south for enough 'swing' at anchor over mid-night peak tide.  Perhaps two or three hulls tie up to the old 48'x 8' float for one night ?  150 yards to our house.
          I should know about GMHC option by tomorrow (Thursday).

          Saturday meet of 'captains' should settle actual departure-spot for Sunday Cruise.  I will await info re arrival of Cdr. Bosworth, USN (ret.) - our NAVSEA partner - late morning Sunday to partake in Cruise through 'Phil's Waters'.
          Susanne Altenburger

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 16, 2009
            'No worries, mate' - as someone in an Aussi movie said the other day...  Susanne
            Apologies to Susanne for misspelling, I think that may have been me!

            GregF

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups. com, "mason smith" <goodboat@.. .> wrote:

            > Oh please let's not do it on twitter, guys. I'm not up for that. I too am wondering about where to anchor but am getting a chart and suppose it will become plain. 14 yr old daughter Maggie and I will launch our Micro, Pelican, from one of those (Long Wharf?) ramps in the Jones River, near (I guess) the J.R. Campground and also near Susanne. (By the way, all, that's how she spells her name.) We'd then motor in to Gloucester for the event, then back to anchor somewhere. Is there a better idea? Launching and anchoring in town seems less comfortable. And what about Sunday? A fleet sail, I hope, around the Cape, or out the Annisquam to the north, or out the Annisquam to the south? Perhaps the weather will advise.--- Mason

          • brucehallman
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 17, 2009

              > I am off from Alaska tomorrow in the AM. Will get into Gloucester early
              > on Fri. I am linking up with Seth Macinko and Bruce Hallman on Chuck's
              > old Tennessee Anomaly with an Auray punt for dinghy.

              > Weather forecast is premium for both days - ergo no need for 'Rain-Date'.

              http://www.wunderground.com/US/MA/Gloucester.html

              I am getting excited looking forward to this weekend!
              Packing my bags, airplane ticket in hand.
            • gaff_rigged72
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 17, 2009
                Mason,
                The ramp on atlantic ave is pretty good, but be advised it dries out at low tide. I'm not really familiar with the other ramps in Gloucester, though. Sorry can't give more helpful advise.

                I'm looking forward to meeting all who show on Saturday. I'll be the one with two, hopefully content, younger kids in tow.

                Chris Brunette

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mason smith" <goodboat@...> wrote:

                > Oh please let's not do it on twitter, guys. I'm not up for that. I too am wondering about where to anchor but am getting a chart and suppose it will become plain. 14 yr old daughter Maggie and I will launch our Micro, Pelican, from one of those (Long Wharf?) ramps in the Jones River, near (I guess) the J.R. Campground and also near Susanne. (By the way, all, that's how she spells her name.) We'd then motor in to Gloucester for the event, then back to anchor somewhere. Is there a better idea? Launching and anchoring in town seems less comfortable. And what about Sunday? A fleet sail, I hope, around the Cape, or out the Annisquam to the north, or out the Annisquam to the south? Perhaps the weather will advise.--- Mason

              • bysc2002
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 18, 2009
                  My wife and I as well as our friends Mike and Susanne plan on attending the memorial event. It will be comforting to share memories and thoughts with fellow Bolgerites as well as family and friends. Phil Bolger has been a very positive influence in our lives and he has given us the capacity to indulge in boating at a level far exceeding our modest expectations. We have three Bolger boats (Houseboat #481 the Happy Adventure as well as a clam skiff and a June Bug which serve as our dingy and trusty rowboat in the shoulder season). Mike has built a cosine wherry and is currently on his way to building a Spur II. Cruising in the housboat is always a delight and the unbelievable efficency and comfort always makes me stop and think of the genius of simplicity that surrounds Phils designs. Looking forward to meeting other Bolger fans and paying our respects to Phil and Susanne. regards Paul McLellan

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "gaff_rigged72" <gaff_rigged72@...> wrote:

                  > Mason,
                  > The ramp on atlantic ave is pretty good, but be advised it dries out at low tide. I'm not really familiar with the other ramps in Gloucester, though. Sorry can't give more helpful advise.
                  >
                  > I'm looking forward to meeting all who show on Saturday. I'll be the one with two, hopefully content, younger kids in tow.
                  >
                  > Chris Brunette
                  >

                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mason smith" <goodboat@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Oh please let's not do it on twitter, guys. I'm not up for that. I too am wondering about where to anchor but am getting a chart and suppose it will become plain. 14 yr old daughter Maggie and I will launch our Micro, Pelican, from one of those (Long Wharf?) ramps in the Jones River, near (I guess) the J.R. Campground and also near Susanne. (By the way, all, that's how she spells her name.) We'd then motor in to Gloucester for the event, then back to anchor somewhere. Is there a better idea? Launching and anchoring in town seems less comfortable. And what about Sunday? A fleet sail, I hope, around the Cape, or out the Annisquam to the north, or out the Annisquam to the south? Perhaps the weather will advise.--- Mason

                • ANDREW AIREY
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 18, 2009
                    Dear All

                    Am on the wrong side of the pond to make it but good luck and fair weather to those who do.He was a man who enriched the lives of all who,however briefly,came into contact with him
                    all the best
                    Andrew Airey

                  • Harry James
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 23, 2009
                      I am off from Alaska tomorrow in the AM. Will get into Gloucester early
                      on Fri. I am linking up with Seth Macinko and Bruce Hallman on Chuck's
                      old Tennessee Anomaly with an Auray punt for dinghy.

                      Is there a Twitter site yet for passing info on moorings camping etc.,
                      if not is there somebody with the requisite skills to start one?

                      HJ