long micro nearing completion Thailand new pics

  • namkianorbu
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 30, 2009
      long micro nearing completion Thailand new pics

      Some pics of my Long Micro nearing completion.
      Building specs
      -marine ply 3/8" (thaiMade)
      -rose wood(tillerruder post Trim), teak, Australian red cedar (spars). Mai Nam Dang (frames)
      -3 layers of epoxy inside and out, Outside sheathed with 6oz glass and epoxy, 2 coats of epoxy tie paint (epoxy vinyl) 3 coats of epoxy top coat. Anti slip applied to deck and cockpit
      -Time to build 6months full time
      -buildt to plans more or less
      -Cost approx US$5700

      Cheers
      PAT
      see link for pics
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/photos/album/1488378163/pic/list
    • Harry James
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 30, 2009
        So whats Australian red cedar like, I have never heard of it. Mai Nam
        Dang is another unknown.

        HJ

        namkianorbu wrote:
        > long micro nearing completion Thailand new pics
        >
        > Some pics of my Long Micro nearing completion.
        > Building specs
        > -marine ply 3/8" (thaiMade)
        > -rose wood(tillerruder post Trim), teak, Australian red cedar (spars). Mai Nam Dang (frames)
        > -3 layers of epoxy inside and out, Outside sheathed with 6oz glass and epoxy, 2 coats of epoxy tie paint (epoxy vinyl) 3 coats of epoxy top coat. Anti slip applied to deck and cockpit
        > -Time to build 6months full time
        > -buildt to plans more or less
        > -Cost approx US$5700
        >
        > Cheers
        > PAT
        > see link for pics
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/photos/album/1488378163/pic/list

      • Andre Basso
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 30, 2009
          Wonderful pics Pat (and boat too !) .

          Is she your first boatbuilding experience ?

          I've just bought Micro plans and I'm still lost among drawings. I hope
          to start building in the next couple of years.

          Congratulations and keep us posted !

          André.

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1, 2009
            > Wonderful pics Pat (and boat too !) .
            >
            > Is she your first boatbuilding experience ?

            No I have built the long dory19 feet, a couple of Garvy's 17 feet and a wharram catamaran of 17 feet. But this is the most complicated project yet.

            > I've just bought Micro plans and I'm still lost among drawings. I hope
            > to start building in the next couple of years.

            It is not an easy boat to build but it is rewarding ...good luck.

            > Congratulations and keep us posted !

            I will. I hope to sail it off Phuket and Krabi. I live approx 1000 kilometers
            from the ocean. I may but it on a trailer or just ship it down with the trailer.

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1, 2009
              On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Andre Basso<andre_basso@...> wrote:

              > I've just bought Micro plans and I'm still lost among drawings. I hope
              > to start building in the next couple of years.

              You might want to consider building the Micro first as a scale model,
              it will help you better understand the shape.
            • Andre Basso
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 1, 2009
                Tks Bruce. I'll do that. This is my first boatbuilding project
                (should've started with an easier one ...I know....) and a scale model
                will help a lot !

                Em Ter, 2009-09-01 às 07:31 -0700, Bruce Hallman escreveu:

                > On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Andre Basso<andre_basso@...>
                > wrote:
                >
                > > I've just bought Micro plans and I'm still lost among drawings. I
                > hope
                > > to start building in the next couple of years.
                >
                > You might want to consider building the Micro first as a scale model,
                > it will help you better understand the shape.

              • graeme19121984
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 6, 2009

                  > So whats Australian red cedar like, I have never heard of it. Mai
                  > Nam Dang is another unknown.

                  Toona australis - red cedar. The east coast of Oz was largely explored by european timber getters looking for this. Absolutely fantastic furniture timber. Usually found in wet forests on the upland eastern escarpment of the great dividing range, Victoria to Cape York, was in the lowland rainforest of the wet tropics too. Very hard to obtain now. Very prone to pests and disease outside of the forest ecosystem. Despite much research it has proved impossible to grow in plantation monoculture, like many tropical forest tree species. Some mixed species small plantation trials have returned somewhat mixed results.

                  I've not heard of it used for spars, though they would look splendid if bright finished! I wonder if it's not actually something like western red cedar (douglas fir?) imported via Australia?

                  Graeme
                • scsbmsjoe
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 6, 2009
                    Graeme

                    Douglas Fir, also called Oregon Pine, is quite different from Red Cedar. Douglas Fir is used for spars though Sitka Spruce is lighter weight and prefered for spars on small boats in the US.

                    Joe T

                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James <welshman@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > So whats Australian red cedar like, I have never heard of it. Mai
                    > > Nam Dang is another unknown.
                    >
                    > Toona australis - red cedar. The east coast of Oz was largely explored by european timber getters looking for this. Absolutely fantastic furniture timber. Usually found in wet forests on the upland eastern escarpment of the great dividing range, Victoria to Cape York, was in the lowland rainforest of the wet tropics too. Very hard to obtain now. Very prone to pests and disease outside of the forest ecosystem. Despite much research it has proved impossible to grow in plantation monoculture, like many tropical forest tree species. Some mixed species small plantation trials have returned somewhat mixed results.
                    >
                    > I've not heard of it used for spars, though they would look splendid if bright finished! I wonder if it's not actually something like western red cedar (douglas fir?) imported via Australia?
                    >
                    > Graeme

                  • Larry Geib
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 7, 2009
                      Western Red is pretty soft, some say to soft even for planking unless
                      used in conjunction with epoxies.

                      Two fine cedars for boatbuilding are Port Orford cedar and Alaska
                      Yellow cedar. They'd both make great spars.

                      Port Orford is from Southern Oregon and N. California and is prized
                      for planking and Spars. It was often used in Greene and Greene
                      craftsman style houses for paneling, beams, and carved trim. Great
                      wood blond in color and straight tight grain. - kind of expensive
                      now. I have some salvage first growth beams waiting for an
                      appropriate project.

                      Alaska yellow cedar is the hardest of the cedars, grown up the West
                      coast starting in Washington State (though it's mostly gone in
                      Washington, now commercially.) Also a great wood, straight and tight
                      grain with no checking or splitting. Often totem poles and native
                      log canoes were made from it.

                      Both would make great spars for a small boat.

                      Larry

                      On Sep 6, 2009, at 8:18 PM, scsbmsjoe wrote:

                      > Graeme
                      >
                      > Douglas Fir, also called Oregon Pine, is quite different from Red
                      > Cedar. Douglas Fir is used for spars though Sitka Spruce is lighter
                      > weight and prefered for spars on small boats in the US.
                      >
                      > Joe T

                    • Pat
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 7, 2009
                        In Thailand Australian Red Cedar Is called Mai Yom Horm. I understand from my father in law who has been making pianos in Thailand for 40years and is quite knowledgeable about tropical hardwoods and there uses, that they used this timber to make airplanes during the Second World War. It has a very unique aroma, it is very light strong and flexible. I believe most comes from Malaysia, Lao, Burma and Cambodia these days. It cost approx the same as grade b Teak in Thailand not very expensive as my 2 mast  one 30 feet long the other 15 feet cost 200us$ for the  wood.

                        Cheers
                        PAT

                        Toona ciliata M. Roem.

                        SYNONYM(S) :  Cedrela australis R.Mudie,  Cedrela toona Roxb. ex. Rottler,  Cedrela toona Roxb. ex Willd.,  Cedrela velutina DC., Toona australis F. Muell., Toona australis (F. Muell.) Harms, Toona ciliata M. Roem. var. australis (F. Muell.) K.N. Bahadur, Toona microcarpa (C. DC.) Harms

                        BENGALI :      Tuun (Tun), Tuni.

                        BURMESE :  Mai yom horm, Taung tama, Taw thamgo, Thit kador .

                        CHINESE :  红椿  Hong chun,  小果红椿    Xiao guo hong chun (as T. microcarpa).

                        ENGLISH :   Australian cedar, Australian red cedar, Australian cedar, Burma cedar, Burma toon, Harms red cedar, Indian mahogany, Moulmein cedar (Myanmar), Queensland red cedar (Aust.), Red cedar, Toon.

                        FRENCH :   C�e rouge, C�e rouge d'Australie.

                        GERMAN :  Australisches mahagoni, Australisches Zeder.

                      • Paul & Susanne
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 7, 2009
                          As a resident of British Columbia, I humbly beg to differ; red cedar was the primary wood for native dug out canoes in the northwest.  The larger, ocean going ones were built up to 50-60 feet in length.  Although old, first-growth cedars grew to great dimensions, a canoe could be considerably wider in beam than the diameter of the log it was carved from.  After hollowing out, the shell would be filled with water.  Than rocks heated in a fire would be put into the water to soften the hull.  Gradually longer thwarts would be worked in spreading the gunwales and creating flare in the topsides.  You are correct that western read cedar can be quite soft on the surface.  The native people dealt with that by 'fire hardening' and by treatment with shark oil.  I remember reading that the ultimate shape of the large sea going canoes was very like that arrrived at by 19th century ship builders for the great clipper ships.

                          Paul Glassen
                          Nanaimo
                          Vancouver Island

                          Western Red is pretty soft, some say to soft even for planking unless
                          used in conjunction with epoxies.

                          Two fine cedars for boatbuilding are Port Orford cedar and Alaska
                          Yellow cedar. They'd both make great spars.

                          Port Orford is from Southern Oregon and N. California and is prized
                          for planking and Spars. It was often used in Greene and Greene
                          craftsman style houses for paneling, beams, and carved trim. Great
                          wood blond in color and straight tight grain. - kind of expensive
                          now. I have some salvage first growth beams waiting for an
                          appropriate project.

                          Alaska yellow cedar is the hardest of the cedars, grown up the West
                          coast starting in Washington State (though it's mostly gone in
                          Washington, now commercially. ) Also a great wood, straight and tight
                          grain with no checking or splitting. Often totem poles and native
                          log canoes were made from it.

                          Both would make great spars for a small boat.

                          Larry

                          On Sep 6, 2009, at 8:18 PM, scsbmsjoe wrote:

                          > Graeme
                          >
                          > Douglas Fir, also called Oregon Pine, is quite different from Red
                          > Cedar. Douglas Fir is used for spars though Sitka Spruce is lighter
                          > weight and prefered for spars on small boats in the US.
                          >
                          > Joe T

                        • scsbmsjoe
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 7, 2009
                            All good info here. I was hoping to bring out some experts fron the NW US. Thanks.

                            Joe T

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Paul & Susanne" <glassens@...> wrote:

                            > As a resident of British Columbia, I humbly beg to differ; red cedar was the primary wood for native dug out canoes in the northwest. The larger, ocean going ones were built up to 50-60 feet in length. Although old, first-growth cedars grew to great dimensions, a canoe could be considerably wider in beam than the diameter of the log it was carved from. After hollowing out, the shell would be filled with water. Than rocks heated in a fire would be put into the water to soften the hull. Gradually longer thwarts would be worked in spreading the gunwales and creating flare in the topsides. You are correct that western read cedar can be quite soft on the surface. The native people dealt with that by 'fire hardening' and by treatment with shark oil. I remember reading that the ultimate shape of the large sea going canoes was very like that arrrived at by 19th century ship builders for the great clipper ships.
                            >
                            > Paul Glassen
                            > Nanaimo
                            > Vancouver Island

                          • graeme19121984
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 9, 2009
                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Pat <patjah@...> wrote:

                              > In Thailand Australian Red Cedar Is called Mai Yom Horm.

                              So then Pat, did you clear finish the spars for your beautiful Micro? Probably a very nice colour contrast, hey?

                              Graeme
                            • Pat
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 10, 2009
                                So then Pat, did you clear finish the spars for your beautiful Micro? Probably a very nice colour contrast, hey?

                                I tried to keep the bright work to a minimum. Just cockpit combing hatches. tiller ect.. I was tempted to but rather be sailing than sanding.I did use it a bit on the intrerior. Realy nice wood to work with and it smells like sandalwood.
                                I have enjoyed building this boat so much the sailing will be icing on the cake.

                                Cheers
                                PAT