Re: [bolger] Re: schooner

    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 25, 2009
      On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 6:56 AM,
      adventures_in_astrophotography<jon@...> wrote:

      > Hi Chris,
      >
      >> Since you have done a number of hulls, would you say it might be helpful
      >> to do a starter project? Something like Elegant Punt or 12-Foot Kayak that
      >> do not require a lot of material or a rig?
      >
      > Starting with a smaller project is always a good idea, especially for
      > glassing experience. But I think most people could put a Light Schooner hull
      > together, especially with a pattern (the existing boat) on hand, along with
      > a copy of one of Payson's books.
      >
      > Jon

      Good advice. Can I add that time spent building scale models of boats
      will pay back double by improving your understanding of the shapes and
      sequences of the parts, and by reducing chances of costly big
      mistakes. I have learned much more building paper and computer models
      of boats, than I have learned by building full size boats.

      And, true. Working with epoxy and fiberglass is a learned skill. In
      my experience, the key element of this is mastering the smoothing
      process. It is a laudable goal to apply epoxy smooth, but that rarely
      happens for me. I can reduce them, but I always get many drips runs
      and goobers.

      I have learned to use an angle grinder, a belt sander, and a random
      orbital...with coarse grit, medium and find grits sandpapers, so that
      it goes acceptably fast. Especially important is the angle grinder.
      This is followed by using 'spot glazing' filler and primer which is
      smooth sanded again, and repeat until satisfied, to achieve that
      glossy finish boat look.