[bolger] Drain Plugs

  • monica@chairlady.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 30, 1999
      Does anyone else use drain plugs on their boats?

      After the first week my Galley was actually outside I was shocked to
      realize rain would actually collect inside it. So I got a brace and a 1
      inch bit and made a hole at the lowest rocker point. After it dried I
      took a PVC threaded end and epoxied that in place, first stuffing paper
      towells into it to keep the threads clean. After it cured I faired it
      on the botom with a belt sander. The cap screws in from the inside.
      Cost me 2-3 bucks for the PVC fittings. Has worked for years now.

      Anyone else do something like this?
    • David Ryan
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 30, 1999
        This sound sounds like a GREAT idea!

        If you put a little "scoop" with the opening facing aft, you'd have a
        great self-bailing device!

        >Does anyone else use drain plugs on their boats?
        >
        >After the first week my Galley was actually outside I was shocked to
        >realize rain would actually collect inside it. So I got a brace and a 1
        >inch bit and made a hole at the lowest rocker point. After it dried I
        >took a PVC threaded end and epoxied that in place, first stuffing paper
        >towells into it to keep the threads clean. After it cured I faired it
        >on the botom with a belt sander. The cap screws in from the inside.
        >Cost me 2-3 bucks for the PVC fittings. Has worked for years now.
        >
        >Anyone else do something like this?

        >Looking for the hottest sports memorabilia or sporting goods
        >specials? eBay has thousands of trading cards, sports autographs
        >and collectibles.You never know what you might find at eBay!
        >http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1143
        >

        >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger

        David Ryan
        Minister of Information and Culture
        Crumbling Empire Productions
        (212) 247-0296
      • Robert N. Lundy
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 30, 1999
          No, but thank you for answering one of my questions. I've been trying to
          figure out how to fit a tradional brass hole/pluf through the chine of
          Windsprint right at the point of greatest rocker. Even though I'm going to
          put a tarp over the boat, this is florida, and it often rains sideways.
          some water will collect. would love to hear other solutions to this
          difficulty.

          Robert Lundy
          St. Petersburg, Fla.

        • Samson family
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 31, 1999
            Hi,

            Drain plugs are fine, but are no substitute for checking regularly under the
            tarp. I had a skiff a few years ago that I put under a tarp for the winter
            with drain plug open. I neglected to look at it for a month or so, and when
            I did eventually look, it had 6" of water in the bottom! Reason was that
            leaves had blown under the tarp and blocked the plug hole.

            Bill
            -- bill.samson@...

            Chebacco News can be viewed on:
            http://members.xoom.com/billsamson

            >No, but thank you for answering one of my questions. I've been trying to
            >figure out how to fit a tradional brass hole/pluf through the chine of
            >Windsprint right at the point of greatest rocker. Even though I'm going to
            >put a tarp over the boat, this is florida, and it often rains sideways.
            >some water will collect. would love to hear other solutions to this
            >difficulty.
            >
            >Robert Lundy
            >St. Petersburg, Fla.

          • Tim Smith
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 1999
              yup, i put a transom drain in my diablo last season, and it's changed my
              life.

              ----------
              >From: bolger@egroups.com
              >To: bolger@egroups.com
              >Subject: [bolger] Re: Drain Plugs
              >Date: Sat, Oct 30, 1999, 4:05 PM
              >

              > This sound sounds like a GREAT idea!
              >
              > If you put a little "scoop" with the opening facing aft, you'd have a
              > great self-bailing device!
              >

              >>Does anyone else use drain plugs on their boats?
              >>
              >>After the first week my Galley was actually outside I was shocked to
              >>realize rain would actually collect inside it. So I got a brace and a 1
              >>inch bit and made a hole at the lowest rocker point. After it dried I
              >>took a PVC threaded end and epoxied that in place, first stuffing paper
              >>towells into it to keep the threads clean. After it cured I faired it
              >>on the botom with a belt sander. The cap screws in from the inside.
              >>Cost me 2-3 bucks for the PVC fittings. Has worked for years now.
              >>
              >>Anyone else do something like this?

              >>Looking for the hottest sports memorabilia or sporting goods
              >>specials? eBay has thousands of trading cards, sports autographs
              >>and collectibles.You never know what you might find at eBay!
              >>http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1143
              >>

              >>eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger
              >>http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications
              >
              > David Ryan
              > Minister of Information and Culture
              > Crumbling Empire Productions
              > (212) 247-0296

              > Looking for the hottest sports memorabilia or sporting goods
              > specials? eBay has thousands of trading cards, sports autographs
              > and collectibles.You never know what you might find at eBay!
              > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1143
              >

              > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger

            • Richard Barnes
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 1999
                > yup, i put a transom drain in my diablo last season, and it's changed my
                > life.

                Ummmmm,......

                As in now your boat is much better.... ;or now your boat is on the
                bottom?????

                As a potential Diablo builder I am curious about the boat and your
                impressions, plus more specifics about the transom plug.

                I am currently building the Glen-L design "Sweet Caroline" as a stitch and
                glue boat ( intending to include transom plugs )and may build a Diablo or
                Diablo Grande to accompany it. Did you consider the Diablo Grande?

                Thanks,
                Richard
              • Samson family
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 1999
                  FYI - Picture of Tim Smith's stretched Diablo is to be found in Chebacco
                  News #28.

                • sailormon@torchlake.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 3, 1999
                    monic-@... wrote:
                    original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=611
                    > Does anyone else use drain plugs on their boats?
                    >
                    > After the first week my Galley was actually outside I was shocked to
                    > realize rain would actually collect inside it. So I got a brace and a
                    1
                    > inch bit and made a hole at the lowest rocker point. After it dried I
                    > took a PVC threaded end and epoxied that in place, first stuffing
                    paper
                    > towells into it to keep the threads clean. After it cured I faired it
                    > on the botom with a belt sander. The cap screws in from the inside.
                    > Cost me 2-3 bucks for the PVC fittings. Has worked for years now.
                    >
                    > Anyone else do something like this?
                    > Good idea on drain plugs, did the same on a much larger vessel. You
                    can make the scoops out of a larger PVC pipe. Cut it at an angle, then
                    epoxy tape it over the drain and paint to match. Brad
                  • timk_smith@fortunemail.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 3, 1999
                      i used a bronze half-inch garboard plug with a socket attached from the
                      outside. she still floats. but if she sinks, i'd consider a diablo
                      grande. the plans weren't yet available when i built mine. don't know
                      of anyone who's built the bigger boat, but the extra freeboard might be
                      nice. on the other hand, that long skinny shape is awfully good in a
                      quartering sea....