[bolger] Re: Light Scooner X 2? Scalability

  • G Carlson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25, 1999
      Hi David,

      Widlly underbuilt, for the same reason that elephant's legs are almost as
      fat as they are long and ants can pick up things many times larger than
      themselves but, luckily, can't grow as tall as buildings. 3-dimensional
      things grow as a cubic even when any single dimension grows linearly.

      So, for example, double a 1 foot boat to 2 feet: your volume has increased
      8-fold, from 1 ft3 to 8 ft3! Your 52' light schooner might go from 500
      pounds to 5000 - can't imagine something the mass of Surburan held together
      with 2x2's!
      Yikes!

      Gregg Carlson

    • plea@entergy.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26, 1999
        David,

        A rule of thumb is lengthen or shorten a boat by no more than 10% --
        otherwise you need another design. The original designer may not be
        disposed to lengthen one of his boats, and prefer to create a new boat.
        If choosing to lengthen a design, I would stick to the 10% change, and
        try to involve the designer. If he is unable to help, minimize the
        risk of disappointing results -- study yacht/boat design books (lots
        out there) and try something small in time and money.

        Phil Lea
        Russellville, AR.
        Building a modified June Bug

        <7ng9tt$q87-@egroups.com> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=59
        > The teal in nearly done. I've got a spit coat of white paint drying
        > overnight, and a pot of red paint to finish her off. Maiden voyage is
        > going to be a crab killing mission on Georgica pond just as soon as
        the
        > paint dries.
        >
        > After today's primer coat on the teal, we headed of to Napigue Harbor
        > to kill some clams and my thought headed in the direction of the Light
        > Scooner. For some reason, I can't ge the idea of doubling the
        > dimentions out of my head, (if a 23.5 foot scooner is good, a 47
        footer
        > is twice as good!)
        >
        > My initial and rather simple minded thought is double everything. 1/2
        > inch plywood, 2x2 inch chine logs, etc. However, the more cautious
        > parts of my brain tell me that this would either be wildly over-built,
        > or wildly under-built. For example, it seems that some extra bulkhead
        > would be in order, and perhaps a little less canvas.
        >
        > If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them; especially
        > those based on experience and/or expertise, (I've have access to a
        > bountiful supply of beer fuel speculation.)
        >
        > TIA,
        >
        > David Ryan
        >
        > P.S. Carpentry is fun, finishing sucks!

      • Richard Spelling
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26, 1999
          As others have pointed out, it doesn't quite scale that way.

          Have you considered the Folding Schooner? It's 32ft long and was designed to be
          that way. You could probably strectch it to be 36 or so, and still fit it on a
          small trailer.

        • david@crumblingempire.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 26, 1999
            The crabs got a reprieve today. It's been very humid so I spent the day
            waiting for my teal's paint to dry and casting about the Montauk boat
            building community, Light Scooner plans in hand. Heres a smattering of
            thought on "Doubling the Scooner" from a few guys who make boats for a
            living (and a few who don't.)

            1: If you make her, DON'T take her offshore. Even if the boat didn't
            fall apart, the flat bottom would give you a terible pounding.

            2: She'd be great for cruising the sound, as long as you had one eye on
            the weather, (pounding from the flat bottom, knock downs, total failure
            of the hull and/or rigging, etc.)

            3: Most of the strength in any hull like this one comes from how hard
            it is to bend plywood along the flat axis, i.e. a rectanglular piece of
            plywood is hard to make into a paralellagram. The sticks (chines,
            gunnells, stringers) mostly encourage the plywood to stay in a hard to
            deflect orientation. 1/4 would probably be sufficient, provided it's
            backed up by bigger sticks and/or more sticks. (Two camps seemed to
            develop, one favoring 4x4's (just to be on the safe side), the other a
            more modest size increase, but adding more runners along the sides, top
            and bottom to match the maximum spans allowed in the original design.)

            4: The sail/balast/keel combination seems to be the most thorny issue.
            Dynamic balasting by the crew might be fun on a 23.5 footer, but simply
            gathering sufficient crew, (let alone choreographing them,) to keep a
            47 (with four times the sail area,) flat is obviouly not the right
            solution. This leads to the thought of a balasted keel; and this, along
            with trying to keep the masts from being broken or blown off leads to a
            cascading series of off reenforments that move the whole project out of
            the realm of a pirate ship you can build in your yard. A better thought
            is less canvas, but how much less is the big question. Start with the
            original rig and work up? If you build the dagger board(s) around a
            steel center, maybe you could carry a little more, but now we're
            reenforcing the trunk...it's a slippery slope.

            All and all, guys we're in favor of the idea. After all, it's not their
            time, money, or life. I'm sure as long as I had beer in the fridge I'd
            have plenty of help. How do get epoxy to set in 20-30 degree weather?

            The wind is suppose to be NW tomorrow, and as soon as the paint dries,
            the crabs' reprieve is up. If you're in the neighborhood, we stop by.
            We should have plenty.

            Best,

            David Ryan