Re: legality of building from study plans, Was: [bolger] Peero

  • Pierce Nichols
    Message 1 of 31 , Aug 3, 2009
      AIUI, only the whole design was protected before, not the hull shape alone. So, if I wanted, I could go take a set of lines off, for instance, Rozinante, and design a boat of that shape in fiberglass (or strip, or aluminum, etc), without having to pay the holders of the Herreshoff copyrights a penny. Any designs after the date into force of the act can be registered and then the shape itself gets protection.

      -p

      On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:
      On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Pierce Nichols<rocketgeek@...> wrote:

      > The hull shape protections only apply to designs after the DMCA went into
      > effect, which was sometime in the late 90s. It does not, therefore, apply to
      > the majority of Bolger's published work.

      The 'published work', being paper, is protected by copyright.  There
      was an analogous 'vessel' clause in the copyright code prior to the
      DMCA too.    I agree, the fast majority of 'vessel shapes' of all
      designers (not just Bolgers), both before and after the DCMA are not
      'registered vessels' receiving protection.

      I think this is a list of the registered vessels...

      http://www.copyright.gov/vessels/list/index.html

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         mailto:bolger-digest@yahoogroups.com
         mailto:bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • apraphett777
      Message 31 of 31 , Aug 12, 2009
        I paddle mostly been in power boats most of my life pulling crab pots where the chesapeake and the intercoastal intersect I am about at mile 3 I don,t cartop just carry the boat down to the water here lately I have been lazy I built a small dolley to tote my canoe with. It is a old battered coleman , I was just building smaller boats with hopes of finding something lighter I am aprox 205-210 pounds most weeks I have built a coupla of peeros for neices and nephews a nieghborhood kid or 2 they do well in them . It don,t do to have a adult beverage or two with you and paying attention really pays off :)