Re: Rudder end-plates on a Micro

  • Greg Flemming
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 23, 2009
      Didn't see Jill Knight's article Graeme, didn't she sail Cooee?

      Small is better they say, but what is the self-built cat, I'm wondering?

      Since Phil Bolger's death I've been prompted to get his older books and have now got them all, I think. The progression in his thinking, the paring down to what is essential, the liberation from convention to the point of "an open mind" is fantastic to see.

      I bet, he'd be in agreement with you on that!

      Greg

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

      > That, or a shorter "Monster M";-)
      >
      > Greg, did you see Jill Knight's article "Cruising on a Shoestring"? (Cruising Helmsman, September 2008, page 16) Did you note the comparitive "table of expenses by category"?
      >
      > Transitioning adult kids won't allow me at it full time just yet, but given a 24' or thereabouts Bolger type boat, and then for now I could be a "Spike" kind of guy @ $2400/year (and an hour by jet up the coast away from the landlubber sprockets back home). Adequate for the purpose and far cheaper and capacious than similar sized self-built cat. Good training for skippering a 40+ft steel Bolger perhaps, and even then that may show up Spike's expenses! I'm thinking I'd like to (semi?)retire early to the Reef while it yet lives.
      >
      > Graeme
      >
      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Flemming" <greg@> wrote:
      >
      > > Graeme, would that be a Long Long Micro?

    • graeme19121984
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 27, 2009
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

        > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gMyVSpwQlJ1a4EigDA6Jis-istYdvXjRSf0faiUi5EahvnaYD6cKn4ui7pbLorEIg55y10QBkTaWPR4pxenAMdeUvVFtJFX7AVwR_A/Bolger%20scans/Long%20Micro%2C%20glass%20house.jpg

        The outboard seems a step backwards, and high... is it on a vertically sliding mount affixed to the port side of the transom?

        Graeme