Re: Micro Navigator

  • mmer@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 52 , Jul 14, 2009
      I have thought of an improvised centre plate. I am just worried about putting a bolt through the nice epoxy cover keel!

      The other way I was think was a centre plate that came into the hull. As I know how I use my boat I am convinced that a centre plate would not interfere too much with the cabin space. again the problem is breeching the protective layer that is currently intact.

      I also am having fun with the micro. I just want to get to a destination that is typically upwind of here and with tide and wind I would be looking at quite a lot of fuel and I hate the noise of the outboard!

      Thanks

      Martin
    • Adirondack Goodboat
      Message 52 of 52 , Nov 14, 2009
        Hi, Stefan---I am going to be at the museum for lunch with this visiting group at 12:30, so if you come along at 1:00 or soon after we can easily connect. I take it you know the way. When you arrive at the Adirondack Museum you can wheel into the parking lot. If still at lunch I will be just across the entrance/exit driveways, downhill a bit, in the conference  building with big log posts supporting the entrance roof. And Pelican is uphill under the parking deck, on the second level of the parking, towards the right end.
        When I finish lunch I'll come out looking for you. I'll carry a phone, 518 524 8266, but we can't count on cell service.
        If you won't be there quite soon after one, I hope you can let me know some time before 12:00. Perhaps what I'll do is go over there earlier, soon,to spend some time with the visiting group in the morning, and cut out on the rest of their activities after lunch. anygate, it would be nice to know your ETA if much different from 1:00.
        Just got a message from Doc Musekamp who said you had been considering the Jochems. He and I have been talking about various swaps and builds.  Best---Mason

        ----- Original Me, ssage -----
        Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:16 PM
        Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: Micro Navigator

        Still planning on this Saturday.

        You asked for a reminder - what time would you like?  After lunch but well before dusk?

        Give a call - 413 768 9100 - or let me know how to call you that day.

        Thanks!

        All the Best,
        Stefan

        "One gathers peace as a feather in the palm of one's hand."    -anonymous

        On Nov 10, 2009, at 8:38 AM, Adirondack Goodboat wrote:

        Mason here. My feeling is that the keel of Micro is enormously strong, strength coming first from its being a thick sandwich of lead and plywood, the plywood constituting tensile skins over the hard core, second from the strong curvature of its uppe r edge where its skins are united to the shoe which follows the rocker and is heavily fastened. The keel cannot bend laterally without coming off the boat at the ends. Also, you'll see that the swinging plate, if anybody ever tries the idea, cannot be very large in area. It has to fit in the shadow of the extant keel when up. This will keep its forward or upper end rather narrow. It could widen toward the bottom end but I think not much, lest it bend.