Idaho

  • Maximo
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 31 KB
    I start building Idaho, attached is a photo of the bottom.

    What do yo think of replacing wood on the skids, and use PVC pipes,
    fiberglassed to the botton?

    Regards, Máximo.
  • Bill Howard
    Message 2 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
      Why use PVC pipe, with all the additional work required ("split down the center, fill with expanding foam....") when wood is so easy to work with?  I used wood for the skids on my June Bug, as specified.  Glued and screwed to the bottom, then painted.

      Bill Howard
      Nellysford VA
      On Jul 14, 2009, at 8:43 PM, Ben wrote:

      I have seen that done before.They used 4 inch pvc pipe split down the center,filled the halves with expanding foam,cut the ends at 70 degree angles,wrapped the foam cored pipe halves with fiberglass and epoxy,then glassed them to the hull.I've also seen this done with 1.25 pvc pipe to make rub rails and gunnel caps.Use pie cuts to help making curves down the side or bottom of the boat.

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups. com, "Maximo" <grupos@...> wrote:

      > I start building Idaho, attached is a photo of the bottom.
      >
      > What do yo think of replacing wood on the skids, and use PVC pipes,
      > fiberglassed to the botton?
      >
      > Regards, Máximo.

    • Ben
      Message 3 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
        I have seen that done before.They used 4 inch pvc pipe split down the center,filled the halves with expanding foam,cut the ends at 70 degree angles,wrapped the foam cored pipe halves with fiberglass and epoxy,then glassed them to the hull.I've also seen this done with 1.25 pvc pipe to make rub rails and gunnel caps.Use pie cuts to help making curves down the side or bottom of the boat.

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Maximo" <grupos@...> wrote:

        > I start building Idaho, attached is a photo of the bottom.
        >
        > What do yo think of replacing wood on the skids, and use PVC pipes,
        > fiberglassed to the botton?
        >
        > Regards, Máximo.

      • Ben
        Message 4 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
          I agree.Wood is easier and less expensive in my area.Just something I saw someone else do.I think maybe they liked to add difficult modifications just to be able to say they did it that way and it worked.

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bill Howard <billh39@...> wrote:

          > Why use PVC pipe, with all the additional work required ("split down
          > the center, fill with expanding foam....") when wood is so easy to
          > work with? I used wood for the skids on my June Bug, as specified.
          > Glued and screwed to the bottom, then painted.
          >
          > Bill Howard
          > Nellysford VA
          > On Jul 14, 2009, at 8:43 PM, Ben wrote:
          >

          > > I have seen that done before.They used 4 inch pvc pipe split down
          > > the center,filled the halves with expanding foam,cut the ends at 70
          > > degree angles,wrapped the foam cored pipe halves with fiberglass and
          > > epoxy,then glassed them to the hull.I've also seen this done with
          > > 1.25 pvc pipe to make rub rails and gunnel caps.Use pie cuts to help
          > > making curves down the side or bottom of the boat.
          > >
          > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Maximo" <grupos@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I start building Idaho, attached is a photo of the bottom.
          > > >
          > > > What do yo think of replacing wood on the skids, and use PVC pipes,
          > > > fiberglassed to the botton?
          > > >
          > > > Regards, Máximo.

        • David Darnell
          Message 5 of 18 , Jul 15, 2009
            I'd think wooden skids with glass or a stronger fabric tape would be better.

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Maximo" <grupos@...> wrote:

            > I start building Idaho, attached is a photo of the bottom.
            >
            > What do yo think of replacing wood on the skids, and use PVC pipes,
            > fiberglassed to the botton?
            >
            > Regards, Máximo.

          • Maximo
            Message 6 of 18 , Jul 15, 2009
              Thank you all for your advice.
              I´m building on a very low budget, using polyester resin. I was looking an
              alternative. But I think I will use wood.
              Thanks, regards, Máximo.
            • Chester Young
              Message 7 of 18 , Jul 15, 2009

                On EstherMae the ‘keel’ is built from wood and was attached after the bottom was fiber-glassed.  16 years after construction it is still functioning, with a couple of gaps between the bottom and the keel where a person can see through a gap when she is on her trailer.  I do not know if the original method included any type of adhesive or if screws were run through the bottom into the keel but nothing leaks and I frequently leave her in the water a week at a time or more.

                Caloosarat