Gradually entering a new life & clip-on leeboards

  • Susanne@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 7, 2009
      Hi everybody
           Thank you for your many kind missives in every medium.  I hope to attempt to respond to them individually...  This loss was most certainly not just mine.  So many of you shared with me how Phil entered your head and heart and to what effect.  The collection of stories on this direct connection is growing.  If you have any more such perspectives let me know.  I should have more to say later.

      I am gradually getting back into 'life'...  Heeded advice I just rested and grieved in various predictable and unpredictable waves and spasms.  I drew/draw on much personal and phone-support from friends and family near and far, and am very slowly getting oriented in this much altered life.  But I am surrounded by him, his work and our work.  Much to tend to.  But only very carefully dosed. Will at last attend to mail, faxes, E-mails, even cash a few cheques that have been lingering on the 'untouchable' drawing board.  MAIB pieces will continue for the foreseeable future.  And of course just about all of his plans will remain available from this same address.  Phil had been eager and gratified to see arrive and put to early use a range of new office-equipment to accelerate progress on books, catalogue etc.

      For now only one quick note on 'clip-on leeboard(s)'  Interesting perspectives on 'Zephyr'.  Phil was all too eager to study other cultures and their contributions to the global body of knowledge on boat-design including Spanish and Far-Eastern.  Last winter he drew a little isometric of his first sailboat he got around 7 years of age, a catboat, and it had a single clip-on leeboard to starboard.

           Again thanks for all your support.
      Susanne Altenburger, PB&F
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8, 2009
        I notice that you're interested in the aesthetics of Zephyr, and thus I
        find your malapropsim understandable and amusing. I don't know what a
        Ruskin canoe would be, but since Ruskin was a famous art critic, I'm
        sure that it would be aesthetically beautiful.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ruskin

        Ruskin is famous, for among other things, describing a particular
        Whistler painting as "throwing a pot of paint in the public's face."
        (This particular painting is worth seeing, at:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:James_Abbot_McNeill_Whistler_012.jpg

        I do not know what he said about the designs of the artist Caillebotte,
        who designed more than 20 yachts, see:

        http://sailing.teggin.com/2006/08/caillebotte.html

        I suspect you were referring to Rushton canoes, which are, indeed, quite
        visually pleasing. See

        http://www.slcha.org/exhibits/rushton.php

        Ruskin, Rushton, and Caillebotte were all contemporaneous.
      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 9, 2009
          Thanks Chris, you got me! In my mind I saw Rushton, but got Ruskin.

          I meant to refer to the ACA lateen sail as used back to Rushton's day, and the striking differences between Zephyr and the sailing canoe (p14 http://www.enter.net/~skimmer/cs31s.pdf etc). From my vanatge point here I had it also that the lateen rig on Z seemed an odd marketing choice for the 70's on, that it further intimated a pontona connection, and a design decision to be true to origins. However, Gary makes a good point about the North American familiarity with the Sunfish! Sunfish are ubiquitous there, yet unseen here.

          Graeme

          Visions of social economy contrary to PCB's cherished Smith: Ruskin (Unto This Last) - Gandhi, communes, and on; Ruskin/Morris - Edward Bellamy (Looking Backward), Lane, New Australia Paraguayan Commune, and on. Another watershed, but still not many canoes in sight!

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@...> wrote:

          > I notice that you're interested in the aesthetics of Zephyr, and thus I
          > find your malapropsim understandable and amusing. I don't know what a
          > Ruskin canoe would be, but since Ruskin was a famous art critic, I'm
          > sure that it would be aesthetically beautiful.
          >
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ruskin
          >
          > Ruskin is famous, for among other things, describing a particular
          > Whistler painting as "throwing a pot of paint in the public's face."
          > (This particular painting is worth seeing, at:
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:James_Abbot_McNeill_Whistler_012.jpg
          >

          > I do not know what he said about the designs of the artist Caillebotte,
          > who designed more than 20 yachts, see:
          >
          > http://sailing.teggin.com/2006/08/caillebotte.html
          >
          > I suspect you were referring to Rushton canoes, which are, indeed, quite
          > visually pleasing. See
          >
          > http://www.slcha.org/exhibits/rushton.php
          >
          > Ruskin, Rushton, and Caillebotte were all contemporaneous.

        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 10, 2009
            Glad to hear that life is slowly but surely returning to PCB&Fs, Susanne.Be well!

            Sincerely,

            Peter Lenihan