Somewhat OT: Woodenboat School?

  • Richard Perry
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2009
      Folks - The summer is halfway by me, and I was just looking at a back issue of Woodenboat and pining after the courses being offered at the Woodboat school. (Seriously, they're offering a course this year in making a frikking BRASS CANNON!) My wife calls it "summer camp for semi-adults."

      So, I know it's a bit OT, but here's my question:

      Are there any alumni of the school out there willing to give me a review of it? In short, is this thing worth my time/money to save up for next summer? Any specific course recommendations? (I was thinking the two week fundamentals course)

      I know (of course) that it's not Bolger-style building, but still... it looks like a lot of fun, and I've been wanting to go for a very long time. And next year is my mmphth birthday, so I deserve it, right? Right?

      Thanks in advance. Feel free to contact me off-list if you prefer to keep the group on topic: I'll summarize for the list later in one post.

      Regards -

      Richard T Perry

    • adnyb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2009
        In a message dated 7/7/2009 9:49:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, perryrt@... writes:
        In short, is this thing worth my time/money to save up for next summer? Any specific course recommendations? (I was thinking the two week fundamentals course)
        Hi

        I am a 4-time alumni of WBS. That, in itself says something, I suppose.   I only regret that I'm not a 10-time alumni!  The two-week fundamentals course is FANTASTIC!  I took a 'dip your toe in the water' approach to the school, and started with the Lofting course with Greg Rossel.  Never had so much fun while studying!

        I followed that with the Design course with Paul Gartside, then the Fundamentals Course and this year Blacksmithing and Modern Welding!  It's all good!

        How can a week or two spent with like-minded people in a gorgeous place NOT be worth the time and money?  Feel free to contact me off list if you'd like more information.

        Andy
      • Greg Stoll
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2009
          Hi Richard,

          I've been there twice; once in 2004 for a two-week Essentials of Boat Building class and last summer for a week of learning to kayak. It is hands-down my favorite place in the world.

          The added side benefit of going there is that they let you sail their fleet of small craft (including six Haven or Herreshoff 12 1/2's) every evening. In addition, they have a boating book library like you wouldn't believe, and that's just at the two houses

          The food is excellent, the camaraderie is the best you could ever imagine. I would recommend taking one of their shop courses, as you get to meet more cool boat nuts that way.

          I camped on-site once and stayed in a room once (two to a room) and I would highly recommend the camping over staying in a room; the bathroom facilities are actually better in the campground.

          In conclusion, I would have liked to go there again this year but instead have to settle for cruising the San Juans for a week.

          Yes, cruising the San Juans for a week is indeed "settling" compared to WoodenBoat School.

          Greg