Re: Brick Plans only from PCB?

  • ladycathyofwales
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 7, 2009
      Stefan Probst wrote:
      > looks like plans for the Brick are only available from the master
      > himself (unless you build from the sketches in one of his books)?

      Anyone know if these are the authentic Bolger Brick plans, or a derivative?

      http://www.common-sense-boats.com/brick.htm

      Cathy
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 7, 2009
        On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 6:24 PM,
        ladycathyofwales<catherine.james@...> wrote:

        > Stefan Probst wrote:
        >> looks like plans for the Brick are only available from the master
        >> himself (unless you build from the sketches in one of his books)?
        >
        > Anyone know if these are the authentic Bolger Brick plans, or a derivative?
        >
        > http://www.common-sense-boats.com/brick.htm
        >
        > Cathy

        http://www.instantboats.com/brick.htm

        I think there are actually two Bolger Brick designs, my preference is
        the one sold by Dynamite Payson which looks a little bit more
        seaworthy.

        The other one in the book Boats with an Open Mind is the one sold by
        Common Sense. I have heard questions about whether those are
        authorized Bolger plans.
      • Joe Tribulato
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 8, 2009
          It would be enlightening to check this early post from PCB:

          More info by searching this site for "common sense."
          (Lets not hash this over again here.)

          Joe T

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ladycathyofwales" <catherine.james@...> wrote:

          > Stefan Probst wrote:
          > > looks like plans for the Brick are only available from the master
          > > himself (unless you build from the sketches in one of his books)?
          >
          > Anyone know if these are the authentic Bolger Brick plans, or a derivative?
          >
          > http://www.common-sense-boats.com/brick.htm
          >

          > Cathy

        • apraphett777
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 8, 2009
            Looking at BWAOM the other night the drawing in the book would be enough for building her it looks to be a realy straight forward build. I kina feel bad I have never bought but one set of plans
            ( Queen Mab ) I have built most of my boats from the books. Heres to your sucess.

          • captreed@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 8, 2009
              > Anyone know if these are the authentic Bolger Brick plans, or a derivative?
              >
              > http://www.common-sense-boats.com/brick.htm

              Common Sense boat designs were the authorized seller of Brick (and other Bolger) plans.

              Dynamite Payson sells a plan called Brick, but it is not the original Brick but one 1' narrower.

              I've built it, :-).

              Reed
            • mmer@btinternet.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
                Common Sense boats are where I boat my plans from. This was in teh days before the PDF version was available.
              • Gene Tehansky
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
                  Not to push anybody away from a Bolger purchase but for your information.  Michael Storer on Duckworks Magazine sells plans for a twice removed offspring of the brick in PDF format for cheap.  This is based on the PDRacer designs that Shorty based on the Bolger Brick at PDRacer.com .  The Storer design is very very complete with 2 sail versions and support from Polysails of a kit to build the sail.  Mik (Michael Storer) has a web site with videos of the things sailing.  Please don't blackball me from the Bolger group for this! 8^|

                  Since the PDRacer is based on the Bolger Brick, there could be some concern that the boat is a copy.  I personally feel that the concept was copied but the many changes in hull profile and hight would have Mr. Bolger saying that was not his boat any more.  Phil truly was the inspiration for this group of boats with over 330 boats registered with the PDRacer web sight.  And, not only do they have races scheduled around the globe, they hold a pan galactic race yearly, or something like that.  Worth a look.

                  Sincerely,
                  Gene T.
                  Brick, Single Handed Schooner, and soon Micro Navigator

                  On 7 Jul, 2009, at 11:48 PM, Bruce Hallman wrote:

                  On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 6:24 PM,
                  ladycathyofwales<catherine.james@ verizon.net> wrote:

                  > Stefan Probst wrote:
                  >> looks like plans for the Brick are only available from the master
                  >> himself (unless you build from the sketches in one of his books)?
                  >
                  > Anyone know if these are the authentic Bolger Brick plans, or a derivative?
                  >
                  > http://www.common- sense-boats. com/brick. htm
                  >
                  > Cathy

                  http://www.instantb oats.com/ brick.htm

                  I think there are actually two Bolger Brick designs, my preference is
                  the one sold by Dynamite Payson which looks a little bit more
                  seaworthy.

                  The other one in the book Boats with an Open Mind is the one sold by
                  Common Sense. I have heard questions about whether those are
                  authorized Bolger plans.

                • Dave Gentry
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "mmer@..." <martin.me.roberts@...> wrote:

                    > Common Sense boats are where I boat my plans from. This was in teh days before the PDF version was available.

                    So, I was under the impression that the new owner(not Bernie Wolfard) of Common Sense designs decided that he owned those PCB designs and stopped paying royalties to Mr. Bolger on the plans he sold. Has this changed? I thought the consensus was to boycott that guy . . . .

                    Just curious.

                    FYI: NEVER be fooled into buying any of the CSD sea kayak plans!! They result in some truly awful boats - I built one before I knew any better. Gave it away to a non-kayaker after just a month.
                  • Susanne@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 14, 2009
                      'Common Sense Boats' have no relationship with us.  They have never paid us any royalties.  We have had to field complaints about their quality and some business dealings.  PCB plans from PB&F and Dynamite Payson only please. Continue the boycott.  Susanne Altenburger

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 16, 2009
                        Susanne Altenburger wrote:
                        > 'Common Sense Boats' have no relationship with us. They have
                        > never paid us any royalties. We have had to field complaints
                        > about their quality and some business dealings. PCB plans from
                        > PB&F and Dynamite Payson only please. Continue the boycott.
                        > Susanne Altenburger

                        Thank you, Susan. Those of us new to the Bolger boat world
                        don't know the history, and we appreciate your informing us
                        of the situation.

                        Cathy
                      • dnjost
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 16, 2009
                          Suzanne -

                          Thank you for the reminder.

                          As a professional musician, I know how hard it is to protect the copyrights that we work so hard for. Everyone on the Internet wants everything for free, however the creators are due the proceeds from their creations. It is inexcusable for a vendor not to pay royalties to the creators of these works of art. We all know Phil's work as just that, "artwork". Most of which I would deem Modernist in nature with heavy influences of the Bauhaus with a great degree of common sense added. I will continue to support the boycott of CSD sold designs until they pay royalties per design as they should.

                          Enough rant. You can all tell I am just waiting for the epoxy to harden on the work skiff. Apparently System 3 takes much longer than WEST to cure (yes, plans from Payson). This project is much larger than I anticipated. New England weather has also been very uncooperative this year. Striped bass may need to wait until the fall run.

                          David Jost, West of Boston
                        • graeme19121984
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 19, 2009
                            Who'd blackball you Gene? Ha.

                            PDRacer: different bottom profile to Brick anyway. IMHO the deepest draft of PDR is positioned wrongly for the intent - should be more forard with a longer run (lookit any modern, post 50's, planing sailing dinghy...) - still, class rules rules...

                            BTW, there's more than one Brick available from PB&F: Fast-, Gaffer-, Flying Cloud (box-keel cutwater), Double (2 + a Grout), and looks like a new 10'er cabined cruiser...

                            How'd 4 adults and a big dog go for an arvo sailing in chop in a PDR? I aint seen it myself... but that situation almost first defined Brick comfort and capability.

                            Graeme

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Gene Tehansky <goldranger02-boats@...> wrote:

                            > Not to push anybody away from a Bolger purchase but for your
                            > information. Michael Storer on Duckworks Magazine sells plans for a
                            > twice removed offspring of the brick in PDF format for cheap. This is
                            > based on the PDRacer designs that Shorty based on the Bolger Brick at
                            > PDRacer.com . The Storer design is very very complete with 2 sail
                            > versions and support from Polysails of a kit to build the sail. Mik
                            > (Michael Storer) has a web site with videos of the things sailing.
                            > Please don't blackball me from the Bolger group for this! 8^|
                            >
                            > Since the PDRacer is based on the Bolger Brick, there could be some
                            > concern that the boat is a copy. I personally feel that the concept
                            > was copied but the many changes in hull profile and hight would have
                            > Mr. Bolger saying that was not his boat any more. Phil truly was the
                            > inspiration for this group of boats with over 330 boats registered
                            > with the PDRacer web sight. And, not only do they have races
                            > scheduled around the globe, they hold a pan galactic race yearly, or
                            > something like that. Worth a look.
                            >
                            > Sincerely,
                            > Gene T.
                            > Brick, Single Handed Schooner, and soon Micro Navigator
                          • PAUL DELORY
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 19, 2009
                              Graeme, any more information on the 10' cabin cruiser brick
                              Thanks BubbaP

                              To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
                              From: graeme19121984@...
                              Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 09:25:57 +0000

                              Who'd blackball you Gene? Ha.

                              PDRacer: different bottom profile to Brick anyway. IMHO the deepest draft of PDR is positioned wrongly for the intent - should be more forard with a longer run (lookit any modern, post 50's, planing sailing dinghy...) - still, class rules rules...

                              BTW, there's more than one Brick available from PB&F: Fast-, Gaffer-, Flying Cloud (box-keel cutwater), Double (2 + a Grout), and looks like a new 10'er cabined cruiser...

                              How'd 4 adults and a big dog go for an arvo sailing in chop in a PDR? I aint seen it myself... but that situation almost first defined Brick comfort and capability.

                              Graeme

                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups. com, Gene Tehansky <goldranger02- boats@... > wrote:

                              > Not to push anybody away from a Bolger purchase but for your
                              > information. Michael Storer on Duckworks Magazine sells plans for a
                              > twice removed offspring of the brick in PDF format for cheap. This is
                              > based on the PDRacer designs that Shorty based on the Bolger Brick at
                              > PDRacer.com . The Storer design is very very complete with 2 sail
                              > versions and support from Polysails of a kit to build the sail. Mik
                              > (Michael Storer) has a web site with videos of the things sailing.
                              > Please don't blackball me from the Bolger group for this! 8^|
                              >
                              > Since the PDRacer is based on the Bolger Brick, there could be some
                              > concern that the boat is a copy. I personally feel that the concept
                              > was copied but the many changes in hull profile and hight would have
                              > Mr. Bolger saying that was not his boat any more. Phil truly was the
                              > inspiration for this group of boats with over 330 boats registered
                              > with the PDRacer web sight. And, not only do they have races
                              > scheduled around the globe, they hold a pan galactic race yearly, or
                              > something like that. Worth a look.
                              >
                              > Sincerely,
                              > Gene T.
                              > Brick, Single Handed Schooner, and soon Micro Navigator

                              NEW mobile Hotmail. Optimized for YOUR phone. Click here.
                            • graeme19121984
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 19, 2009
                                A recent MAIB article: Bolger on Design, NanoCruiser, Water Beetle 10 #680, Vol27 No2, June 2009, p42. Plans @ $125 from: Phil Bolger & Friends, Inc, PO Box 1209, Gloucester, MA 01930, US.

                                Power/sail, box keel, fully enclosed 10' x 4'4" x 1'3", 70+sqft sail, 750lbs displacement. Superbrick kind of looking, more window, spacy.

                                Graeme