Re: [bolger] Hatch Seals

  • briggs monteith
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
      I've used stuff generically called sponge rubber as gaskets on elvstrom type bailers on the bottom of racing dinghies and have had them stay leak free for up to 5 years! you can buy the stuff in sheets or in strips, cutting it out of a sheet woud be more watertight I think. I've stored these dinghies in the back yard with the sun baking on them and have never had an issue. If interested contact your local rubber supplier (locally, I use Firestone).
      Hope this helps, Briggs Monteith

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2009
        I missed the original message in this thread, but I notice that Bolger
        has used and reused a standard detail for his sliding hatches which I
        am guessing is based on some traditional design. I am not sure that I
        fully understand this hatch, but it manages to catch the drips and
        keep them out of the cabin. In BWAOM, see for instance the cabin
        hatch on SuperBrick, with the note 46 on the building key saying
        "Sliding hatch with rain shroud. Space under shroud should drain in
        all directions."