Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

RE: [bolger] Re: alum. mast

Expand Messages
  • Kimbro, Ray (N-SAIC)
    Sounds like your idea is working well too! My usage included some extended periods of forgottonness/neglect, and I suspect that the rot issues I had on the
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 22, 2009
    • 0 Attachment

      Sounds like your idea is working well too!   My usage included some extended periods of forgottonness/neglect, and I suspect that the rot issues I had on the first set were my own fault. 

       

      Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences!

       

       

       

      From: bolger@yahoogroups.com [mailto:bolger@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Larry Geib
      Sent: Friday, June 19, 2009 11:45 PM
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: alum. mast

       



      Nice solution.

       

      I went through the trouble to epoxy encapsulate all the stringers before assembly, and that seemed to work OK.

      Thinking about your solution, perhaps a bottle brush  on a wire or stick might be of use in making sure the insides are well coated.

      the local kitchen store sell them in different sizes for a few bucks.

       

       

      I guess I fell into the air circulation camp to prevent rot.

      I kept the ends of the boom of my boat open and I cut the ends of the spar at a rakish angle just to make things more interesting, Keep air circulating,  and allow for easier fastening of the fittings.

      I'm always tinkering with things, so it's nice to be able to get into the hollow boom.

      The mast has a hole  near the foot for the masthead light wire  and air can get around the halyard sheave, so while there is less circulation, some is theoretically possible.

       

      Winter storage for both is in the dry basement away from the furnace. 

       

      6 years and going strong.

       

      Larry

       

       

      On Jun 19, 2009, at 5:38 AM, Kimbro, Ray (N-SAIC) wrote:

       

       

      Larry –

       

      The first set I made weren’t filled, and I must not have gotten a good epoxy seal on the inside, as I *did* get some rot.  SO – what I tried for the second set was to leave the ends open (at first), dump epoxy inside while twirling the spars, let that set for 24 hours, and then filled it w/the expanding, gap filling foam.  You’ve got to be careful in your application so that the expansion can “escape” towards the open ends.  After the foam cured, I cut the excess off, and the epoxied wooden plugs into the open ends.  So far – I’ve got a set that I’ve kept and abused for about 10 yrs, but, no signs of rot.

       

       

      From: bolger@yahoogroups.com [mailto:bolger@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Larry Geib
      Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:10 PM
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: alum. mast

       



      I agree. They aren't that hard to build and perform beautifully.

       

      Filling them with foam sounds scary. Have you considered rot from trapped moisture?

       

      Larry

       

       

      On Jun 18, 2009, at 11:21 AM, Kimbro, Ray (N-SAIC) wrote:

       

       

      Folks – at the risk of offering an unrequested opinion, I’ve made the birdsmouth spars ala the WoodenBoat magazine instructions – they’ve turned out nice, light, stiff – and have seemed to hold up pretty well, especially when I started filling the interior of the spar w/spray foam.

       

      From: bolger@yahoogroups.com [mailto:bolger@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of mednak2000
      Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:15 PM
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [bolger] Re: alum. mast

       



      =

       

       

      =

    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.