[bolger] Re: Sprit Rig Hardware

  • mmccracken@softcom.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 29, 1999
      Phil,

      I installed two bull's eyes on the aft corners of the rear deck. I
      secure one end of the double length (30 foot) mainsheet to one bull's
      eye, run the line up through a small block on the boom and then down
      through the other bull's eye. It works well enough, though you can't
      sheet in to the center line of the boat. On occasions when I want to
      sail really close to the wind, I install a rope horse between the
      bull's eyes and tie a small block with becket in the middle of the
      horse.

      The 2:1 purchase also makes sailing easier.

      The problem with installing a block on the rudder is that it is not a
      kick up rudder. When you fasten it down so the sail doesn't pull it
      up, you loose the ability to remove the rudder when running aground in
      shallow water. And that rudder runs fairly deep, about 2 ft.

      I got so tired of having the rudder pop out of the gudgeons while
      coming ashore, (Thereby losing control of the boat!) that I designed
      and built a kick up rudder. You're welcome to the plans if you like.
      I made the fixed upper portion from plywood and the lower movable
      portion of glass covered foam, but the lower portion of the original
      plywood rudder would work too.

      June Bug is a very good sailer if you keep the transom out of the
      water. This means you have to sit on the middle thwart if you are
      solo. I lashed a 3 ft. long hiking stick to the tiller so I could sit
      in the middle.

      If you haven't purchased your sail yet, I recommend ordering it from
      Dynamite Payson. It is a top quality sail at a reasonable price.

      > I am to the point with my June Bug that sailing hardware must be
      > ordered. Plans in the book (presumably same as the full size plans)
      do