Re: OK I'm stumped

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2009
      Prior to my current build of the Workskiff, Phil suggested the AS 19 as a possible build for a decent daysailor with simple accomodations and better performance than Micro (better trailerability as well). Somewhere in my collection I have the study plans for AS 19.
      That said, I settled on Birdwatcher II as my next sailboat. Mast and two frames are done, but no more.

      I regret that I never got too far under way to show Phil a full rendition of BWII. What a loss for the world in general. Few folks can think like him.

      First things first.

      David Jost
    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2009
        Not as yet.

        There's one two part "Bolger on Design" MAIB article from about 9(?) years ago featuring the boat built by Ed Williams and then owned by Mike Stockstill (now loved and sailed by "Cabby"). Patrick Crockett sailed along with Mike, and also reported on her in the article.

        Maybe 9 years before that, in the first few years of the 90's, Bernie Wolfard featured a very short write-up, with PCB quote, accompanying the plan listing in the Common Sense Designs catalogues.

        Graeme

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Steven DAntonio" <sdantonio93@...> wrote:

        > Has the AS19 every appeared in any of the Bolger books?
      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 5, 2009
          > Has the AS19 every appeared in any of the Bolger books?

          There is a write-up somewhere, but perhaps not in a book. I remember that there was a sketch showing the boat decorated to a preposterous degree, as if a salad truck had overturned on it, or perhaps if it was prepared for a dragon ship parade. I think the AS-19 could possibly have been designed for (oh, how I hate to mention this) Common Sense Designs.

          Whatever, there is more info here than anywhere else I am aware of:
          http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/as19.htm
          http://mkstocks.tripod.com/boats/as19/
        • adventures_in_astrophotography
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 8, 2009
            > There is a write-up somewhere, but perhaps not in a book. I remember that there was a sketch showing the boat decorated to a preposterous degree, as if a salad truck had overturned on it, or perhaps if it was prepared for a dragon ship parade. I think the AS-19 could possibly have been designed for (oh, how I hate to mention this) Common Sense Designs.

            ...snip...

            The sketch you're referring to is in an old Common Sense Designs catalog I got when Bernie Wolfard owned the business. Bolger is quoted as saying the decorations were "spectacularly inappropirate."

            Jon