Re: Cyber floatilla

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Message 1 of 85 , Jun 1, 2009
      I think Phills intent was to make boat building so anyone could do it. There in not needing to be perfect and saying so. Many materials could be used and end with a work boat finnish or as I said Gold Plated as long as it was used done with pride and used some more. He would be happy as long as the boat was used and the mopre the better. Gold Plating just shows a little more to be proud of and having real skill. but again use is what he is looking for. So do and do what is your best then use it.

      Jon

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robb" <robb@...> wrote:

      > I've been thinking about this message all day. I don't know much about the
      > bantam design but I do know that PCB wasn't usually in to making things gold
      > plated....in fact he was usually contrary to such an idea. Maybe I'm wrong
      > but most of Phil's writing that I have read usually encourage building as
      > cheaply as you can. The same guy that wanted every last inch of plywood
      > from every sheet to be used usually didn't approve or encourage gold plating
      > of boats that were "supposed to look cheap" Maybe I'm wrong about this,
      > perhaps there are people who know his ideas better than I. Robb

    • c.ruzer
      Message 85 of 85 , Oct 26, 2012
        Yes, leaning that way Gregg.

        Holding me up are potential issues to do with physical features both of the preferred construction site in the backyard at home and the boat under construction, uncertainties as to the specs and bill of materials involved, fitout details, and lack of a building key have me considering risk to reward rather closely. Faced now with concrete propositions I'm currently wondering if it may not be more wise to take on the Anhinga project as a lower risk warm-up before the big event, or to just do it. They're not unpleasant considerations, yet 8300lbs of unknown boat even done economically is still some considerable weight to carry.