Re: Bolger obit in NYT

  • The Peillet-Long Family
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
      I was contacted by the New York Times for permission to use a photo of our Bolger Brick in Phil's obituary. Here is a link to the article.

      Sad news, but Phil left on his own terms in a way which many say they would prefer but few have the courage to put into practice.

      He will be missed.

      US
      Philip C. Bolger, 81, Dies; Prolific Boat Designer
      By BRUCE WEBER
      Published: June 1, 2009
      Mr. Bolger's hundreds of boat designs ranked him among the most prolific and versatile recreational boat designers in the world.

      <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/01/us/01bolger.html>
    • c.ruzer
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2012
        News to me. Why? The BOWDOIN MAGAZINE FALL 2009 issue obit header informs at page 89:

        "For a variety of reasons, we have a very long
        list of people for whom the College has had
        news of their deaths, but for whom a full
        obituary has not appeared. Because we feel
        passing that news on to you as soon as
        possible is important, we are including all of
        those names in this issue, while we work to
        create a better system for reporting on the
        deaths of your friends, classmates, and
        associates and for properly honoring their
        lives and connections to Bowdoin." http://www.bowdoin.edu/magazine/archives/2009/pdf/BowdoinVol81No1.pdf
        PCB noted here on page 90 as: Philip C. Bolger '49 May 24, 2009

        The PCB obit occurs in the BOWDOIN MAGAZINE WINTER 2011 issue at page 92:

        "Philip Bolger '49, renowned boat
        designer and builder, died May 24,
        2009, at his home in Gloucester, Mass.
        He was born on December 3, 1927, in
        Gloucester, and prepared for college at
        Gloucester High School, Winchester
        (Mass.) High School, and Brooks School
        in North Andover, Mass. He spent one
        year at Bowdoin, followed by one year
        in the Army, then returned to Bowdoin
        to complete his degree in history. He was
        a member of Theta Delta Chi fraternity.
        He took his own life, having planned
        his suicide when he noticed his mind
        beginning to slip. A man who reveled
        in solving design problems and who had
        begun whittling boats at the age of seven,
        he left a legacy of unique and creative
        watercraft. In 1948, while serving in the
        Army in occupied Japan, he wrote an
        article for Rudder magazine marveling at
        the Japanese boats that float in just several
        inches of water. He went on to create
        nearly 700 of his own designs, ranging
        from the silly to the sublime. In the early
        1960s, he began selling the Light Dory,
        which measured 15.5 feet long and 4 feet
        wide and weighed only 124 pounds. He is
        said to have perfected the wooden kayak,
        and he designed plywood boats – dubbed
        "Bolger boxes" – that could be built in
        a matter of hours. He also designed the
        Bolger Brick, an ultra-small, squared-off
        sailing skiff made of three 4-by-8-foot
        sheets of plywood; the Bolger Pirogue, a
        tiny sailboat; and the Bolger Sneakeasy.
        His grandest vessel was the HMS Rose,
        a replica of the 18th-century HMS
        Surprise, built to his design specifications
        based on the original British Admiralty
        drawings. The 115-foot, fully rigged
        tall ship, complete with 20 guns, served
        as the stage for Russell Crowe in the
        2003 movie "Master and Commander."
        The ship now resides at the San Diego
        Maritime Museum. He was also a prolific
        writer who authored many boat-related
        magazine articles and books, including the
        2004 book, Boats With An Open Mind,
        in addition to a science fiction novel
        about apartheid in South Africa. He was
        a staunch libertarian and member of the
        National Rifle Association. In 1970, he
        ripped his diploma in half and mailed
        it back to Bowdoin in response to the
        College's tolerance for a well-publicized
        Vietnam War protest and student strike.
        He is survived by Susanne Altenburger,
        his wife and business partner of 15 years."
        http://www.bowdoin.edu/magazine/archives/2011/pdf/Bowdoin-vol82_No1.pdf

        Further,

        PCB was the subject of two brief letters concerning an earlier oversight of alumni engaged in the boatbuilding industry in Maine -- see the "mailbox" of the BOWDOIN MAGAZINE FALL 2005 issue at page 2 http://www.bowdoin.edu/bowdoinmagazine/archives/pdf/Bowdoin_Fall_05.pdf

        Archived magazine issues
        http://www.bowdoin.edu/magazine/archives/index.shtml