Fern Ridge Messabout Photos

  • John Kohnen
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2009
      At long last!

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/sets/72157618949304199/

      --
      John <jkohnen@...>
      Perfect order is the forerunner of perfect horror. <Carlos
      Fuentes>
    • saillips
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:

        > At long last!

        Wonderful photos John! Thanks for posting them. It looks like Bob Larkin was ailing with a one-piece mast and not the sliding gunter. Did he give up on the gunter or did he leave it off for higher wind conditions?
        Thanks,
        David
      • adventures_in_astrophotography
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2009
          Hi John,

          > At long last!
          >
          > http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/sets/72157618949304199/

          Nice! I espcially like BWII and Pelican, but those tugs are nice, and I could see many a day fishing and loafing on that Redwing 18.

          Jon
        • John Kohnen
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2009
            I was expecting Bob to pipe up, but maybe he's off having fun in his boat.
            Here's what he's written about Wave Watcher's rig:

            http://www.proaxis.com/~boblark/bw2_sails2.htm

            The Solent lug yard with BW2's big mainsail is a real handful for one
            person to handle, even after Bob added a jaw to turn it into kind of a
            Gunter. I think PCB took his enfatuation with the Solent lug too far when
            he used it with such a big sail. <shrug>

            Wave Watcher is a very fast boat, and drives easily. She goes fine with
            Bob's small mainsail in everything but _really_ light airs. When I took
            the pictures Sunday during the Fern Ridge messabout Bob passed my sailing
            skiff like she was standing still in what were light airs for Pickle,
            designed for the windy lakes and bays of the Oregon Coast, maybe 5mph
            winds, but seemed to be fine for his small mainsail and big jib.

            On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 15:48:13 -0700, David wrote:

            > Wonderful photos John! Thanks for posting them. It looks like Bob Larkin
            > was ailing with a one-piece mast and not the sliding gunter. Did he give
            > up on the gunter or did he leave it off for higher wind conditions?

            --
            John <jkohnen@...>
            No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
            society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we
            shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for
            stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. <P.J. O'Rourke>
          • Bob Larkin
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5, 2009
              David, one more year of playing with the sails for the BW-2 has been great learning for me! If I go out by myself, or with non-sailors, I take the small main and jib. If I go out with a real crew I take the Gunter yard and big sail (with the small main tucked away, just in case). The small main, especially with the jib, is generally plenty of sail, as John alluded to. On the other hand the big main is great fun, if there are enough hands to get it up and down.

              By the way, John's pictures are great, but you don't get to see John. I posted a few today that do not have this omission---they are not Bolger boats, but in the right spirit! See http://www.flickr.com/photos/rlarkin/sets/72157619291078668/

              Bob

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@...> wrote:

              > I was expecting Bob to pipe up, but maybe he's off having fun in his boat.
              > Here's what he's written about Wave Watcher's rig:
              >
              > http://www.proaxis.com/~boblark/bw2_sails2.htm
              >
              > The Solent lug yard with BW2's big mainsail is a real handful for one
              > person to handle, even after Bob added a jaw to turn it into kind of a
              > Gunter. I think PCB took his enfatuation with the Solent lug too far when
              > he used it with such a big sail. <shrug>
              >
              > Wave Watcher is a very fast boat, and drives easily. She goes fine with
              > Bob's small mainsail in everything but _really_ light airs. When I took
              > the pictures Sunday during the Fern Ridge messabout Bob passed my sailing
              > skiff like she was standing still in what were light airs for Pickle,
              > designed for the windy lakes and bays of the Oregon Coast, maybe 5mph
              > winds, but seemed to be fine for his small mainsail and big jib.
              >
              > On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 15:48:13 -0700, David wrote:
              >
              > > Wonderful photos John! Thanks for posting them. It looks like Bob Larkin
              > > was ailing with a one-piece mast and not the sliding gunter. Did he give
              > > up on the gunter or did he leave it off for higher wind conditions?
            • Ben
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5, 2009
                Great photos.Is there plans available for this boat http://www.flickr.com/photos/rlarkin/3598738172/in/set-72157619291078668/

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Larkin" <boblark@...> wrote:

                > David, one more year of playing with the sails for the BW-2 has been great learning for me! If I go out by myself, or with non-sailors, I take the small main and jib. If I go out with a real crew I take the Gunter yard and big sail (with the small main tucked away, just in case). The small main, especially with the jib, is generally plenty of sail, as John alluded to. On the other hand the big main is great fun, if there are enough hands to get it up and down.
                >
                > By the way, John's pictures are great, but you don't get to see John. I posted a few today that do not have this omission---they are not Bolger boats, but in the right spirit! See http://www.flickr.com/photos/rlarkin/sets/72157619291078668/
                >
                > Bob
                >
                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jhkohnen@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I was expecting Bob to pipe up, but maybe he's off having fun in his boat.
                > > Here's what he's written about Wave Watcher's rig:
                > >
                > > http://www.proaxis.com/~boblark/bw2_sails2.htm
                > >
                > > The Solent lug yard with BW2's big mainsail is a real handful for one
                > > person to handle, even after Bob added a jaw to turn it into kind of a
                > > Gunter. I think PCB took his enfatuation with the Solent lug too far when
                > > he used it with such a big sail. <shrug>
                > >
                > > Wave Watcher is a very fast boat, and drives easily. She goes fine with
                > > Bob's small mainsail in everything but _really_ light airs. When I took
                > > the pictures Sunday during the Fern Ridge messabout Bob passed my sailing
                > > skiff like she was standing still in what were light airs for Pickle,
                > > designed for the windy lakes and bays of the Oregon Coast, maybe 5mph
                > > winds, but seemed to be fine for his small mainsail and big jib.
                > >
                > > On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 15:48:13 -0700, David wrote:
                > >
                > > > Wonderful photos John! Thanks for posting them. It looks like Bob Larkin
                > > > was ailing with a one-piece mast and not the sliding gunter. Did he give
                > > > up on the gunter or did he leave it off for higher wind conditions?

              • Harry James
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 5, 2009
                  Yep

                  http://www.cmdboats.com/rw18.htm