Re: 18' Work Skiff photos updated

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2009
      > Did you ever discuss why you chose the workskiff over another Diablo?

      Bill -

      I chose the 18' Workskiff as I found the Diablo was not great for fishing. I caught a lot of bluefish and fluke, but the boat was very light and blew around a lot. It's best attribute is being able to go fast with 2-3 aboard. I ran mine with a 10hp longshaft 2 cycle Johnson and it would plane with two aboard and do 15 mph. We had a lot of fun with it.

      The Workskiff is my attempt at a very stable work platform for striped bass fly-fishing, and chunking around the lakes and inlets of Massachusetts without purchasing a bass boat. My family is most interested in sunning, swimming, and poking about the flats. Hence the workskiff.

      It is way more boat and work to build than Diablo. My estimate is that it will cost almost three times as much due to the volume and size of the plywood. Diablo uses 1/4" and Workskiff uses 1/2". I am fortunate to live where boatbuilding materials are relatively easy to find.

      I doubt you can get the tube to go without at least 25HP on the Diablo.

      Good luck.

      David Jost