Re: Old designers never die...

  • flyingtadpole2
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2009
      As I finish the refit and the new mizzen tabernacle on AS29 Lady Kate, I'm almost overwhelmed thinking the directions and new possibilities that Bolger and his boats opened up for me and pointed me down over the last twenty years. Most appear to have little to do with the boats at first glance: some things were simple synchronicity, others a deep causal chain.

      Although we'd not been in touch for some while, I've cherished the association with Phil, and the deep affection for the boats has only strengthened with the passing years.

      I'm saddened more than I realised by Phil's passing, but I won't begrudge his choice. There will be (are!) plenty of eulogies, but as we applaud after the curtain, I would like to add my applause to Bruce's and others, for Susanne--his wife, his collaborator and co-worker and co-designer, and his staunchest defender and protector these last more than fifteen years.

      Tim Fatchen

      "Lost Beyond Recall", on www.myspace.com/timfatchen seems appropriate as my personal farewell. The boat is Martha Jane "Shirley Valentine" sailing on the now vanished Lake Alexandrina.