Re: Modified Nymph - assessing some customizations

  • nsimms
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28 6:12 AM
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Padvorac" <roger@...> wrote:

      > Hi Neil,
      > You got my curiosity going about a couple things. How many square feet of sail do you have on it and do you have any feelings about it maybe being better being a different size/height/width?

      I used the regular Nymph sail - 39 sq ft. It could easily handle the larger Ruben's Nymph sail, but I wanted to err on the underpowered side for use by kids.

      > What I'm really curious about is how much bigger your bigger boats are. I keep reading the email from this group, looking at the boats on Payson's web site, and trying to figure out what would suit my day sailing needs the best and how big a boat would be adequate for this. As is common, my ideas have been having a tendency to escalate. I got worried after I briefly considered the Birdwatcher.

      I currently have a Harpoon 5.2 (17'), which is a bit of work to rig (I trailer it) and deploy for a quick sail. I also have access to other bigger boats, but again, they are all work to either rig or just to get away from the dock in less than 30-45 minutes.

      > However, a little voice keeps trying to get through to me, and it says the right question is what would be too big and take too much of the fun out of building, maintaining, and hauling around a boat because doing this takes up all the time and energy I would have had to go out messing around in a sailboat.
      >
      > Its not just a length issue, though that is part of it, its the amount of displacement, size and strength of the needed boat trailer and how easy it is to tow it, the number of sails and the complexity of their rigging, how heavy the sails/masts/rigging are, the complexity of the additions to the basic hull, how long it takes to launch the boat and get it ready for sailing and put it away again, how focused and busy you have to be while sailing, and anything that eats up time and energy that could be used for relaxing or enjoying the experience of sailing.

      This is the key for me. I've owned sail boats up to 33 feet, and on the big boats I found myself spending all my time at the boat doing maintenance (I live 3 hours away from the coast where they were kept). I figured I spent 3 days working on them for every day spent sailing.

      So I retreated back to trailerable boats, to maximize time on the water, as well as ability to quickly get to other sailing grounds. The Harpoon is great when I want to sail with the whole family; for that it's worth the setup and tear down time.

      But when I want to go for a quick sail by myself, or with one other person, I'm finding the Nymph is plenty of fun, very quick to get on the water, and maximizes the sailing time vs. prep time equation.

      > So if your bigger boats are 30 feet long, have multiple sails, and weigh tons, I'm okay - if your bigger boats are similar to the Surf at 15'6" X 3' 7", then I might need to have another chat with myself :)

      It all boils down to setup time - from what I understand of Surf, it will be similar to Nymph in setup time, which is very fast. The sprit rig is quick to setup - that's the part that takes so much time with my Harpoon (untie and raise heavy mast, attach forestay, bend on sails, attach vang, downhaul, cunningham, feed all lines through blocks, raise sails - you get the idea!). With Nymph or Surf, you stick the mast in, unwrap the sail from the mast, insert boom in knotted mainsheet and cleat off snotter, and off you go! 5 minutes max.

      > For those not familiar with the Nymphs, both of them are 7' 9" long.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Roger

      I'd say go for it WRT to Surf. Should be quick to setup, and minimal maintenance.

      My next build will be the Goat Island Skiff, in the same size range (15'6"), selected because it should also be quick to setup for an impromptu sail, be capable of carrying 3 or 4 persons, and not incidentally also be capable of winning our Wooden Boat Race in Beaufort, NC next spring ;).

      Neil