Re: junk rig à la Bolger

  • stephenlneal
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2009
      I have been fascinated by PCB's Junk/Gaff Cat-Yawl rig on Yonder. So much flexibility! I'd have to say that it is the most advanced rig for cruising I have ever seen.

      Stephen

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >

      > In a 2005 letter, I asked PCB about Melcher's interpretation of the
      > "Chinese Gaff" rig, and PCB's reply is pasted below. My opinion is
      > that Jim Melcher sailing rig is not a "Bolger Chinese Gaff", but
      > rather a "Melcher Chinese Gaff".
      >
      > I own a Chinese Gaff rig, and mine (I think) is a closer
      > interpretation of the Bolger design. Truth be told, I haven't tested
      > it out anything remotely close to Jim Melcher, who has my great
      > respect and who has sailed a zillion miles.
      >
      > In all honesty, I use my Micro Navigator mostly as a Marina Cruiser
      > berth hangout and I just love it. That is, I typically use my boat as
      > a downtown San Francisco crash pad. (Drink some tea, listen to the
      > radio, surf the internet, read the newspaper, pop some popcorn, take a
      > nap.) [Or, if there is a ballgame going on I will wander over to the
      > stadium and watch baseball through the right field fence and/or try to
      > nab some free tickets.]
      >
      > I have sailed her, and I can attest that the rig works as advertised.
      > Bear in mind, that the rig has more than the usual complexity,
      > required complexity due to the need to sail the boat from within the
      > cabin. This is good in my case because I need that type of rig.
      > Because, finding longer marina berths in San Francisco is essentially
      > impossible. Just getting my cramped 16 foot marina berth took three
      > years of begging the harbormaster.
      >
      > A sixteen foot comfortable cruising boat cannot have a cockpit,
      > therefore the sailing rig must function from within the cabin. The
      > Chinese Gaff is the only rig that I know that can do that. This has a
      > GREAT advantage in that, without the wasting of space on a cockpit,
      > the cabin of the boat can be a warm, well ventilated, sunny,
      > non-claustrophobic, luxuriously upholstered piece of paradise. This
      > is nothing short of a miracle in a 16 foot boat. And, is exactly
      > what I want in a boat!
      >
      > (As I look at the other boaters in the marina, shivering in their
      > cockpits wearing their gloves and their cold weather gear, with their
      > claustrophobic cabins going unused.)
      >

      > ===========2005 PCB on the Jim Melcher rig==============
      > PCB:"As to Melcher's problems, he rig was a makeshift in the first
      > place. (to use as much of the existing gear and structure as
      > possible and he also did not make the most of it in several ways.
      > We did not at all like his sheeting arrangements when he was here,
      > and thinks at least part of his trouble would have been avoidable
      > with more thought.
      >
      > We made the [Micro Navigator] mizzen quite large since there have
      > been complaints on other designs that they are not powerful enough
      > to keep the bow to the wind, whereas it can be feathered (luffed) or
      > furled if there's too heavy a helm.
      >
      > Of course, no boat the size of Micro can keep going against a gale,
      > if only because the drift of the surface water will take her to
      > leeward more or less. But I would expect her to hang on better than

    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 10 , May 9, 2009
        When they are allowed to get before the mast - due to the compression load then introduced by the sheet leads.

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, c o'donnell <dadadata@...> wrote:

        > It is reputed to break battens.

        > On Apr 30, 2009, at 7:29 AM, Philippe wrote:
        >

        > > Hello,
        > > I am Philippe and I am currently redesigning the rig of my Bruce
        > > Roberts Spray 36. I find Phil Bolger's junk rig design interesting
        > > in that it combines the functionality of a gaff headed main (which
        > > I had on my Spray) and the ease of reefing provided by the junk rig
        > > batten system. Does any of you have any experience with Bolger's
        > > design and offer tips about performance, construction, etc ?
        > >
        > > Thanks.
        > >
        > > Philippe
        > >

        > === craig o'donnell
        > dadadata@...
        > Box 232 Betterton Md 21610

      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 10 , May 10, 2009
          Junk rig on a Roberts Spray? Which is steel hulled, right?

          Speaking of which made me think of cruisin' Annie Hill, who it seems went somewhat the opposite direction... April updates:

          http://www.anniehill.blogspot.com/

          http://www.annie-hill.blogspot.com/

          Graeme
        • Stuart Crawford
          Message 4 of 10 , May 10, 2009
            I met Annie and Trevor on Iron Bark in April. Annie gave me some advice on
            converting my boat to junk rig. She was also involved in Jim Melcher
            converting Alert/Manatee to full junk rig.

            Annie is still very much in favour of junk rig. Trevor on the other hand
            doesn¹t think much of junk rig. After about six hours talking to both of
            them, I found Annie¹s position sounding the strongest when it came to rig of
            choice. But that¹s not to say that Trevor doesn¹t know what he is talking
            about, his experience puts that beyond doubt. It¹s just that Annie¹s
            position sounds like easier sailing, which is my own preference.

            Stuart.

            --
            http://www.nomadichome.com
            http://keltwegiankiwi.blogspot.com