Re: junk rig à la Bolger

  • Philippe
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2009
      Thanks for your assessment of Phil Bolger's chinese junker design. I am glad to hear that it works. My project, should I decide to forge ahead will involve a 575 sqf main and a 250 sqf foresail. I expect to have to build the battens with of fiberglass over wood core to minimize the fracture possibility.

      Philippe
    • stephenlneal
      Message 2 of 10 , May 3, 2009
        I have been fascinated by PCB's Junk/Gaff Cat-Yawl rig on Yonder. So much flexibility! I'd have to say that it is the most advanced rig for cruising I have ever seen.

        Stephen

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >

        > In a 2005 letter, I asked PCB about Melcher's interpretation of the
        > "Chinese Gaff" rig, and PCB's reply is pasted below. My opinion is
        > that Jim Melcher sailing rig is not a "Bolger Chinese Gaff", but
        > rather a "Melcher Chinese Gaff".
        >
        > I own a Chinese Gaff rig, and mine (I think) is a closer
        > interpretation of the Bolger design. Truth be told, I haven't tested
        > it out anything remotely close to Jim Melcher, who has my great
        > respect and who has sailed a zillion miles.
        >
        > In all honesty, I use my Micro Navigator mostly as a Marina Cruiser
        > berth hangout and I just love it. That is, I typically use my boat as
        > a downtown San Francisco crash pad. (Drink some tea, listen to the
        > radio, surf the internet, read the newspaper, pop some popcorn, take a
        > nap.) [Or, if there is a ballgame going on I will wander over to the
        > stadium and watch baseball through the right field fence and/or try to
        > nab some free tickets.]
        >
        > I have sailed her, and I can attest that the rig works as advertised.
        > Bear in mind, that the rig has more than the usual complexity,
        > required complexity due to the need to sail the boat from within the
        > cabin. This is good in my case because I need that type of rig.
        > Because, finding longer marina berths in San Francisco is essentially
        > impossible. Just getting my cramped 16 foot marina berth took three
        > years of begging the harbormaster.
        >
        > A sixteen foot comfortable cruising boat cannot have a cockpit,
        > therefore the sailing rig must function from within the cabin. The
        > Chinese Gaff is the only rig that I know that can do that. This has a
        > GREAT advantage in that, without the wasting of space on a cockpit,
        > the cabin of the boat can be a warm, well ventilated, sunny,
        > non-claustrophobic, luxuriously upholstered piece of paradise. This
        > is nothing short of a miracle in a 16 foot boat. And, is exactly
        > what I want in a boat!
        >
        > (As I look at the other boaters in the marina, shivering in their
        > cockpits wearing their gloves and their cold weather gear, with their
        > claustrophobic cabins going unused.)
        >

        > ===========2005 PCB on the Jim Melcher rig==============
        > PCB:"As to Melcher's problems, he rig was a makeshift in the first
        > place. (to use as much of the existing gear and structure as
        > possible and he also did not make the most of it in several ways.
        > We did not at all like his sheeting arrangements when he was here,
        > and thinks at least part of his trouble would have been avoidable
        > with more thought.
        >
        > We made the [Micro Navigator] mizzen quite large since there have
        > been complaints on other designs that they are not powerful enough
        > to keep the bow to the wind, whereas it can be feathered (luffed) or
        > furled if there's too heavy a helm.
        >
        > Of course, no boat the size of Micro can keep going against a gale,
        > if only because the drift of the surface water will take her to
        > leeward more or less. But I would expect her to hang on better than

      • graeme19121984
        Message 3 of 10 , May 9, 2009
          When they are allowed to get before the mast - due to the compression load then introduced by the sheet leads.

          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, c o'donnell <dadadata@...> wrote:

          > It is reputed to break battens.

          > On Apr 30, 2009, at 7:29 AM, Philippe wrote:
          >

          > > Hello,
          > > I am Philippe and I am currently redesigning the rig of my Bruce
          > > Roberts Spray 36. I find Phil Bolger's junk rig design interesting
          > > in that it combines the functionality of a gaff headed main (which
          > > I had on my Spray) and the ease of reefing provided by the junk rig
          > > batten system. Does any of you have any experience with Bolger's
          > > design and offer tips about performance, construction, etc ?
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > Philippe
          > >

          > === craig o'donnell
          > dadadata@...
          > Box 232 Betterton Md 21610

        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 10 , May 10, 2009
            Junk rig on a Roberts Spray? Which is steel hulled, right?

            Speaking of which made me think of cruisin' Annie Hill, who it seems went somewhat the opposite direction... April updates:

            http://www.anniehill.blogspot.com/

            http://www.annie-hill.blogspot.com/

            Graeme
          • Stuart Crawford
            Message 5 of 10 , May 10, 2009
              I met Annie and Trevor on Iron Bark in April. Annie gave me some advice on
              converting my boat to junk rig. She was also involved in Jim Melcher
              converting Alert/Manatee to full junk rig.

              Annie is still very much in favour of junk rig. Trevor on the other hand
              doesn¹t think much of junk rig. After about six hours talking to both of
              them, I found Annie¹s position sounding the strongest when it came to rig of
              choice. But that¹s not to say that Trevor doesn¹t know what he is talking
              about, his experience puts that beyond doubt. It¹s just that Annie¹s
              position sounds like easier sailing, which is my own preference.

              Stuart.

              --
              http://www.nomadichome.com
              http://keltwegiankiwi.blogspot.com