Re: [bolger] Commodore Munro's boats

  • Douglas Pollard
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2009
      Peter McCorison wrote:

      > I mostly lurk and learn here, but:
      >
      > For more than a decade I owned the SS Crocker ketch "Macaw" (see
      > "Crocker's Boats". She is a Presto type sharpie rigged as a gaff ketch
      > with a marconi mizzen. She carried lots of lead pigs in her bilge along
      > the centerboard trunk.
      >
      > There's a brief note about her at the back of Gilpin's 'Good Little
      > Ship'. I sold her perhaps 15 years ago.
      >
      > Macaw is supremely seaworthy. I bought her in Cape Cod, and after a
      > year's adventure down the inland waterway to N.Carolina, shipped her to
      > the Pacific Northwest. I sailed her there for some years (I forget
      > exactly how many) in all weathers crossing the strait of Juan de Fuca
      > and Georgia Strait pretty much at will.
      >
      > The gaff main was exactly right for the boat, with lots of area down low
      > for light summer airs and low center of pressure for winter gales. My
      > only complaint was that she was a handful to steer in strong winds aft
      > of the beam. But the boat could sure take it if the helmsman could.
      >
      > I note that she's for sail in the Northwest as I write. I stumbled upon
      > her from Google. Can't find it right now, but I think the boat was in
      > British Columbia.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Peter McCorison
      > Orcas Island, WA

      Hi Peter,
      I too owned a Sam Crocker boat for a lot of years. Sailed her all
      over the Chesapeake bay and once to Bermuda and back. She was a 301/2
      Ft. Gull class Ketch and a really fine boat. I really don't know of
      anything to say bad about her. She sailed well on all points,
      comfortable and sea kindly. I have seen drawings on Macaw and she
      looked to be a nice boat. That man knew his stuff.

      Doug