Commodore Munro's boats

  • Peter McCorison
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2009
      I mostly lurk and learn here, but:

      For more than a decade I owned the SS Crocker ketch "Macaw" (see
      "Crocker's Boats". She is a Presto type sharpie rigged as a gaff ketch
      with a marconi mizzen. She carried lots of lead pigs in her bilge along
      the centerboard trunk.

      There's a brief note about her at the back of Gilpin's 'Good Little
      Ship'. I sold her perhaps 15 years ago.

      Macaw is supremely seaworthy. I bought her in Cape Cod, and after a
      year's adventure down the inland waterway to N.Carolina, shipped her to
      the Pacific Northwest. I sailed her there for some years (I forget
      exactly how many) in all weathers crossing the strait of Juan de Fuca
      and Georgia Strait pretty much at will.

      The gaff main was exactly right for the boat, with lots of area down low
      for light summer airs and low center of pressure for winter gales. My
      only complaint was that she was a handful to steer in strong winds aft
      of the beam. But the boat could sure take it if the helmsman could.

      I note that she's for sail in the Northwest as I write. I stumbled upon
      her from Google. Can't find it right now, but I think the boat was in
      British Columbia.

      Cheers,

      Peter McCorison
      Orcas Island, WA
    • Douglas Pollard
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2009
        Peter McCorison wrote:

        > I mostly lurk and learn here, but:
        >
        > For more than a decade I owned the SS Crocker ketch "Macaw" (see
        > "Crocker's Boats". She is a Presto type sharpie rigged as a gaff ketch
        > with a marconi mizzen. She carried lots of lead pigs in her bilge along
        > the centerboard trunk.
        >
        > There's a brief note about her at the back of Gilpin's 'Good Little
        > Ship'. I sold her perhaps 15 years ago.
        >
        > Macaw is supremely seaworthy. I bought her in Cape Cod, and after a
        > year's adventure down the inland waterway to N.Carolina, shipped her to
        > the Pacific Northwest. I sailed her there for some years (I forget
        > exactly how many) in all weathers crossing the strait of Juan de Fuca
        > and Georgia Strait pretty much at will.
        >
        > The gaff main was exactly right for the boat, with lots of area down low
        > for light summer airs and low center of pressure for winter gales. My
        > only complaint was that she was a handful to steer in strong winds aft
        > of the beam. But the boat could sure take it if the helmsman could.
        >
        > I note that she's for sail in the Northwest as I write. I stumbled upon
        > her from Google. Can't find it right now, but I think the boat was in
        > British Columbia.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Peter McCorison
        > Orcas Island, WA

        Hi Peter,
        I too owned a Sam Crocker boat for a lot of years. Sailed her all
        over the Chesapeake bay and once to Bermuda and back. She was a 301/2
        Ft. Gull class Ketch and a really fine boat. I really don't know of
        anything to say bad about her. She sailed well on all points,
        comfortable and sea kindly. I have seen drawings on Macaw and she
        looked to be a nice boat. That man knew his stuff.

        Doug