Re: Munro Hull Form

  • oarmandt
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2009
      I read "The Commodore's Story" years ago after borrowing a copy via inter-library loan. I can recommend both the book and the procedure. Inter-library loan gives you access to uncommon, out of print books for the price of postage.

      The Commodore's Story has a good bit of description of the development of the sharpie/presto style for work and cruising boats in the Florida shallows. There are some period pictures of the commodore's various boats. It was also amusing for its description of the very earliest days of Miami, as opposed to what it has become.

      Doug

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Padvorac" <roger@...> wrote:

      > I took a look and this book sounds pretty interesting. There is 1 review (5 stars) on Amazon.com for the 3rd edition:
      > "If you are interested in Commadore Ralph Monroe and his Biscayne Bay Sharpies, this is a must have book! The chapter on the seaworthyness of shoal draft boats is worth the price of the book. The style reminds me of Hershoff's Compleat Cruiser, with Florida pioneer twist."
      >
      > Also, it looks like the 3rd edition might be the summation of many decades of Vincent Gilpin's interest in this type of boat.
      >
      > 1st edition 1952
      > 2nd edition 1961
      >
      > Good Little Ship by Vincent Gilpin (Hardcover - Jul 1975) used from $24
      > Hardcover: 64 pages
      > Publisher: Sutter House; 3 edition (July 1975)
      > Language: English
      > ISBN-10: 0915180014
      > ISBN-13: 978-0915180011
      > Product Dimensions: 9.1 x 6.3 x 0.6 inches
      > Shipping Weight: 12 ounces
      >
      > Another book showed in up the search "The Commodore's Story" by Ralph Middleton Munroe & Vincent Gilpin, but used copies cost over $100, so for reading about the ship itself, "Good Little Ship" sounds like a better starting point.
      >
      > Roger

    • Jay K. Jeffries
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2009
        A copy of The Commodore's Story can be ordered from the Historical Museum of
        South Florida for $14.95 + $3.00 shipping and handling. Go to the following

        http://www.hmsf.org/collections-books-music.htm

        R/Jay

        Jay K. Jeffries

        Andros Is., Bahamas

        Ave the whales.collect the whole series

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com> , "Roger
        Padvorac" <roger@...> wrote:

        > I took a look and this book sounds pretty interesting. There is 1 review
        (5 stars) on Amazon.com for the 3rd edition:
        > "If you are interested in Commadore Ralph Monroe and his Biscayne Bay
        Sharpies, this is a must have book! The chapter on the seaworthyness of
        shoal draft boats is worth the price of the book. The style reminds me of
        Hershoff's Compleat Cruiser, with Florida pioneer twist."

        > Also, it looks like the 3rd edition might be the summation of many decades
        of Vincent Gilpin's interest in this type of boat.

        > 1st edition 1952
        > 2nd edition 1961
        >
        > Good Little Ship by Vincent Gilpin (Hardcover - Jul 1975) used from $24
        > Hardcover: 64 pages
        > Publisher: Sutter House; 3 edition (July 1975)
        > Language: English
        > ISBN-10: 0915180014
        > ISBN-13: 978-0915180011
        > Product Dimensions: 9.1 x 6.3 x 0.6 inches
        > Shipping Weight: 12 ounces
        >
        > Another book showed in up the search "The Commodore's Story" by Ralph
        Middleton Munroe & Vincent Gilpin, but used copies cost over $100, so for
        reading about the ship itself, "Good Little Ship" sounds like a better
        starting point.

        > Roger

      • Peter Belenky
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2009
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bob Johnson <dredbob@...> wrote:

          > Henry Howard: Howard had a large Presto-styled yacht built and cruised
          > extensively and all is described in the book _The Yacht Alice_.

          Alice was modeled on Carib, one of Munroe's last boats. Almost a Presto, but not quite--"a slight variant of the type," as Gilpin described it. The difference was that Alice and Carib, although centerboarders, had substantial deadrise. True Presto boats, like sharpies, have flat floors. By lowering the flat bottom of a sharpie and rounding the chines, Munroe was able to increase the displacement, ballast, and stability for a minimal addition to draft and wetted surface.