Re: [bolger] Re: junk rig à la Bolger

    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2009
      > I hope others in this group will offer further opinions.
      >
      > Philippe.

      In a 2005 letter, I asked PCB about Melcher's interpretation of the
      "Chinese Gaff" rig, and PCB's reply is pasted below. My opinion is
      that Jim Melcher sailing rig is not a "Bolger Chinese Gaff", but
      rather a "Melcher Chinese Gaff".

      I own a Chinese Gaff rig, and mine (I think) is a closer
      interpretation of the Bolger design. Truth be told, I haven't tested
      it out anything remotely close to Jim Melcher, who has my great
      respect and who has sailed a zillion miles.

      In all honesty, I use my Micro Navigator mostly as a Marina Cruiser
      berth hangout and I just love it. That is, I typically use my boat as
      a downtown San Francisco crash pad. (Drink some tea, listen to the
      radio, surf the internet, read the newspaper, pop some popcorn, take a
      nap.) [Or, if there is a ballgame going on I will wander over to the
      stadium and watch baseball through the right field fence and/or try to
      nab some free tickets.]

      I have sailed her, and I can attest that the rig works as advertised.
      Bear in mind, that the rig has more than the usual complexity,
      required complexity due to the need to sail the boat from within the
      cabin. This is good in my case because I need that type of rig.
      Because, finding longer marina berths in San Francisco is essentially
      impossible. Just getting my cramped 16 foot marina berth took three
      years of begging the harbormaster.

      A sixteen foot comfortable cruising boat cannot have a cockpit,
      therefore the sailing rig must function from within the cabin. The
      Chinese Gaff is the only rig that I know that can do that. This has a
      GREAT advantage in that, without the wasting of space on a cockpit,
      the cabin of the boat can be a warm, well ventilated, sunny,
      non-claustrophobic, luxuriously upholstered piece of paradise. This
      is nothing short of a miracle in a 16 foot boat. And, is exactly
      what I want in a boat!

      (As I look at the other boaters in the marina, shivering in their
      cockpits wearing their gloves and their cold weather gear, with their
      claustrophobic cabins going unused.)

      ===========2005 PCB on the Jim Melcher rig==============
      PCB:"As to Melcher's problems, he rig was a makeshift in the first
      place. (to use as much of the existing gear and structure as
      possible and he also did not make the most of it in several ways.
      We did not at all like his sheeting arrangements when he was here,
      and thinks at least part of his trouble would have been avoidable
      with more thought.

      We made the [Micro Navigator] mizzen quite large since there have
      been complaints on other designs that they are not powerful enough
      to keep the bow to the wind, whereas it can be feathered (luffed) or
      furled if there's too heavy a helm.

      Of course, no boat the size of Micro can keep going against a gale,
      if only because the drift of the surface water will take her to
      leeward more or less. But I would expect her to hang on better than
      most."
    • c o'donnell
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2009
        It is reputed to break battens.

        On Apr 30, 2009, at 7:29 AM, Philippe wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I am Philippe and I am currently redesigning the rig of my Bruce
        > Roberts Spray 36. I find Phil Bolger's junk rig design interesting
        > in that it combines the functionality of a gaff headed main (which
        > I had on my Spray) and the ease of reefing provided by the junk rig
        > batten system. Does any of you have any experience with Bolger's
        > design and offer tips about performance, construction, etc ?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Philippe

        === craig o'donnell
        dadadata@...
        Box 232 Betterton Md 21610

      • Philippe
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2009
          Thanks for your assessment of Phil Bolger's chinese junker design. I am glad to hear that it works. My project, should I decide to forge ahead will involve a 575 sqf main and a 250 sqf foresail. I expect to have to build the battens with of fiberglass over wood core to minimize the fracture possibility.

          Philippe
        • stephenlneal
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2009
            I have been fascinated by PCB's Junk/Gaff Cat-Yawl rig on Yonder. So much flexibility! I'd have to say that it is the most advanced rig for cruising I have ever seen.

            Stephen

            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

> [...]
            >

            > ===========2005 PCB on the Jim Melcher rig==============
            > PCB:"As to Melcher's problems, he rig was a makeshift in the first
            > place. (to use as much of the existing gear and structure as
            > possible and he also did not make the most of it in several ways.
            > We did not at all like his sheeting arrangements when he was here,
            > and thinks at least part of his trouble would have been avoidable
            > with more thought.
            >
            > We made the [Micro Navigator] mizzen quite large since there have
            > been complaints on other designs that they are not powerful enough
            > to keep the bow to the wind, whereas it can be feathered (luffed) or
            > furled if there's too heavy a helm.
            >
            > Of course, no boat the size of Micro can keep going against a gale,
            > if only because the drift of the surface water will take her to
            > leeward more or less. But I would expect her to hang on better than

          • graeme19121984
            Message 5 of 10 , May 9, 2009
              When they are allowed to get before the mast - due to the compression load then introduced by the sheet leads.

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, c o'donnell <dadadata@...> wrote:

              > It is reputed to break battens.

              > On Apr 30, 2009, at 7:29 AM, Philippe wrote:
              >

              > > Hello,
              > > I am Philippe and I am currently redesigning the rig of my Bruce
              > > Roberts Spray 36. I find Phil Bolger's junk rig design interesting
              > > in that it combines the functionality of a gaff headed main (which
              > > I had on my Spray) and the ease of reefing provided by the junk rig
              > > batten system. Does any of you have any experience with Bolger's
              > > design and offer tips about performance, construction, etc ?
              > >
              > > Thanks.
              > >
              > > Philippe
              > >

              > === craig o'donnell
              > dadadata@...
              > Box 232 Betterton Md 21610

            • graeme19121984
              Message 6 of 10 , May 10, 2009
                Junk rig on a Roberts Spray? Which is steel hulled, right?

                Speaking of which made me think of cruisin' Annie Hill, who it seems went somewhat the opposite direction... April updates:

                http://www.anniehill.blogspot.com/

                http://www.annie-hill.blogspot.com/

                Graeme
              • Stuart Crawford
                Message 7 of 10 , May 10, 2009
                  I met Annie and Trevor on Iron Bark in April. Annie gave me some advice on
                  converting my boat to junk rig. She was also involved in Jim Melcher
                  converting Alert/Manatee to full junk rig.

                  Annie is still very much in favour of junk rig. Trevor on the other hand
                  doesn¹t think much of junk rig. After about six hours talking to both of
                  them, I found Annie¹s position sounding the strongest when it came to rig of
                  choice. But that¹s not to say that Trevor doesn¹t know what he is talking
                  about, his experience puts that beyond doubt. It¹s just that Annie¹s
                  position sounds like easier sailing, which is my own preference.

                  Stuart.

                  --
                  http://www.nomadichome.com
                  http://keltwegiankiwi.blogspot.com