AS-29 mast

  • James Hagan
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 7:30 PM
      I recently inherited an AS-29 from my father. How is the mast properly
      secured in the upright position?
    • Michael Wagner
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2 3:38 AM
        Once the mast is upright, there is a long wooden wedge that is jammed into the space at the foot of the mast. There should be another smaller wedge bolted to the bottom of the well. Jam the long wedge into the space between the foot of the mast and the smaller wedge. Pull the long wedge up until it is vertical, then lash it to the tabernacle.

        That's it.

        On my boat the long wedge is a piece of white oak. It needs to be a strong, hard wood as it takes a lot of strain.

        Message 3 of 4 , May 2 6:42 AM
          On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 7:30 PM, James Hagan <hagan@...> wrote:

          > I recently inherited an AS-29 from my father. How is the mast properly
          > secured in the upright position?

          You probably also are aware of the chapter in Phil Bolger's book on
          the AS-29, pages 369-374. Worth reading. There are not too many
          AS-29's that have been built in the world, tell us more about yours
          please.
        • Michael Wagner
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5 4:10 PM
            Which of the very few AS-29's is it?

            We are slowly making our way up the east coast, hoping to "close the loop" this summer in Kingston NY where we started out 3 years ago.

            Where are you?