Re: [bolger] Re: Green Fishingboat isometric

  • Fred Schumacher
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2009
      In a commercial fishing boat, internal cargo capacity and location is
      critical. Our permanent home is in northern Minnesota, and I frequently go
      down to Duluth and watch the lakers going in and out of the harbor. Their
      design is totally focused on carrying massive cargoes of taconite and coal:
      bluff plumb bowed stems and sterns, straight plumb sides with no flare. They
      travel at length/speed ratios of 0.6, so they don't need fine entries. They
      carry the biggest loads that can get through the Soo Locks and over the
      shallow channel in Lake Huron. A modern laker looks like a very large Loose
      Moose II. A laker and Loose Moose II look the same because the design brief
      determines the similarity in morphology.

      If this particular fishing boat is not a commercial fisherman but a sports
      fishing design meant to carry individuals out into open water, then it's
      shape is totally appropriate. Soft riding would be a priority. But if it's
      meant to carry a couple tons of fish, I'd like the engine and fuel not to
      interfere with that load.

      Fred

      On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:38 AM, daschultz2000 <daschultz8275@...