Re: Late to the Lumpy Rubens thread
- --- In firstname.lastname@example.org, "eohiggins" <eohiggins@...> wrote:
> Tweaking, usually with needle nose pliers, is what makes the job look right to me. Plastic ties don't tweak -- they 're either on this 'click' or the next and that's too coarse an adjustment.My 11 y.o. son and I built a 4' wide Nymph (1/2 way between original Nymph and Ruben's Nymph) last summer, and unable to find the copper nails referenced by Dynamite decided to try zip ties.
> Besides, epoxy sticks to most plastic and plastic won't heat up to soften the epoxy so you can pull out the stitches.
I agree the lack of adjustability, and the inability to extract them after filleting are a major pain in the neck. We ended up tabbing the bulkheads in place, removing the ties, then completing the filleting which was definitely not the fastest way to build a simple boat like this.
I have used copper wire on kayaks before, which worked well, and would use it again (or possibly a bit stronger wire as you suggest) on my next S&G build.
One other tip for building a Nymph - temporarily reinforce the frames across the bottoms and sides before bending the bottom panel in place. The only 'oops' we ended up with was a slight curve in the aft-most bulkhead that I didn't notice until it was too late to easily correct. Something only I notice, but you know how that goes!
They're great little boats...