Re: [bolger] Re: Sneakeasy pictures

  • Michael Walther
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 15, 2009
      Nope, it was exact 16' beautifully drawn, Don sounds about right. I too will look later. Mike

      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 15, 2009
        In a fast moving Sneakeasy the bow doesn't get airborne. It is one of
        the unique things about this design. Fritz's Sneakeasy just stayed level
        and did not pound in light chop, it sort of pierced it. If you got into
        over 3' chop or if the period got wrong I could see where the bow could
        start getting thrown up and she would pound. That was why my comment
        about Dave's Sneakeasy, the bow was way up and she would pound in any
        kind of chop.

        HJ

        daschultz2000 wrote:
        > Adding to Brian's good thoughts, I wish to add if you don't change the wood thicknesses that the shortened boat will be stronger in most every way. IMO the forward portion of the boat is there to evoke the style. So I would be inclined to shorten the forward portion, which would spend much time airborne in fast moving Sneakeasys anyway. This way you don't give up cockpit space.
        >
        > Lastly, to squeeze it into the garage, a shortened Sneak' could have a modified trailer with a slide in removable tongue.
        >
        > Don
        >

        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Anderson" <bawrytr@...> wrote:
        >
        >> It would pay to think long and hard about how to squeeze it in somehow as is. But with all due respect to PB and the Sneakeasy which is a wonderfully cool boat......

      • daschultz2000
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 15, 2009
          OK. One more link to the 16' Lake Launch which appears to be a small Sneakeasy.

          http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/designs/nini/index.htm

          Also check out messabout pics here and the Michalak site for smaller boats with Sneakeasy style.
        • Michael Walther
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 15, 2009
            Hi, I repeat, it was drawn as 16' Sneakeasy. So the Nini, although it is nice is something else entirely or not built as drawn. Thanks, Mike

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 15, 2009
              Hi, I found it. In Bolger group files under power sharpies last link at the bottom as Sneakeasy 16

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 16, 2009
                This is not really a 16 foot Sneakeasy. It is simply a drawing of a regular 26 foot Sneakeasy that someone distorted using Photoshop or some other software.

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Michael Walther <michawalth3@...> wrote:

                > Hi, I found it. In Bolger group files under power sharpies last link at the bottom as Sneakeasy 16

              • highoveryou
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 16, 2009
                  I like the Nini... doesn't have the pizaaz oh the Sneakeasy, but I bet if the cockpit was made smaller, and the foredeck inclose it'd look sharp. Add the upright windscreen, and a single bench it'd look like 2/3rds a sneakeasy.

                  Wonder how much of an outboard that boat could take?
                • Michael Walther
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 16, 2009
                    Killjoy & after I got myself all aflutter. I suspected something like that after studying it a while:( It's still a neat idea & it should work using the Nini as a starting point as Jeff (good idea) points out.
                    Thanks, Mike

                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 17, 2009
                      Anyone have a bill of materials handy for the Sneakeasy? Just how much would it cost to make one (ball park)?
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 17, 2009
                        On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 7:46 AM, highoveryou <highoveryou@...> wrote:

                        > Anyone have a bill of materials handy for the Sneakeasy? Just how much would
                        > it cost to make one (ball park)?

                        My guess is between $4,000 and $40,000 depending on work boat versus a
                        gold plater.

                        In rough guess numbers, 24 sheets of plywood plus 90 yards of
                        fiberglass and 20 gallons epoxy.

                        I bet you actually could build a functional one without fiberglassing,
                        with ACX plywood and latex porch paint, 'extreme fugal' for $2,000.
                      • Cook Lynch
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 21, 2009
                          Hey thanks for the Bolger Lynx response. As I am after a more simple build,
                          I think plank on stringers is not for me. What a pity, such a beautiful
                          boat.

                          Nope, it was exact 16' beautifully drawn, Don sounds about right. I too
                          will look later. Mike

                          > > yeah I know what you're talking about. Seems to
                          > me it was Lake Launch or something like that. I also
                          > associate it in my memory with the Payson Instant Boat
                          > website. I may get a chance to look for it later
                          > today.
                          > >
                          > > Don
                          > >
                          > > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com,
                          > Michael Walther <michawalth3@> wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > Hi, I found a 16' version by accident, don't
                          > remember its name. I think in cartoons, looks real good,
                          > loved it, want to build it. Wish I bookmarked it..
                          > Mike
                          > > >

                          > ------------------------------------

                          > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or
                          > flogging dead horses
                          > - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks,
                          > Fred' posts
                          > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and
                          > snip away
                          > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
                          > MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          >

                          > mailto:bolger-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        • Gabriel K. McAtee
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 21, 2009
                            I have to wonder if something like Lynx couldn't be done cold-molded.
                            It'd be marginally more expensive than plank on frame, but ultimately
                            probably stronger and a lot easier to build. Of course, you'd still
                            have to loft frames & what not, but at least no caulking to worry about...

                            --Gabriel

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 23, 2009
                              On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Gabriel K. McAtee <gmcatee@...> wrote:

                              > I have to wonder if something like Lynx couldn't be done cold-molded.
                              > It'd be marginally more expensive than plank on frame, but ultimately
                              > probably stronger and a lot easier to build.

                              Lynx could be easily laminated up from thin strips of plywood (cold
                              molded). I did cold molding once, and as long as I avoided fussing
                              about precision and cosmetics, (which are unnecessary with cold
                              molding anyway), I found cold molding to be a quick, strong, light
                              weight, error tolerant, and very easy way to build a hull.
                            • Ron Schroeder
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 1, 2009
                                I built a 24' one a while back. All length dimension were 88%, width was 91% and vertical dimensions were 93%. 3 butted sheets for the sides. Kept the long lean look. Ran great with an 8HP.