Re: [bolger] Re: Monhegan Friendship

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9, 2009
      >> > I'm trying to get the plans for the 18' Monhegan. I've faxed and mailed

      I am pretty sure that the full set of Monhegan plans is reproduced in
      small scale in Bolger's book _Small Boats_. And, that book while out
      of print, is the most easily available out of print Bolger book. (I
      see two copies presently for sale right now for under $17 at
      www.abebooks.com)

      Here are a few isometric renderings of Monhegan which I made from the
      plans in the book.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/hallman/tags/monhegan/
    • vscopeland
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2009
        Ah, so you're the fellow that has done all that beautiful work! Wow. I have seen them, but many thanks. The first thing I want to do is make a half model of the Monhegan; it's such a beautiful hull it's a shame half of it is under water!
        Scot

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

        > I am pretty sure that the full set of Monhegan plans is reproduced in
        > small scale in Bolger's book _Small Boats_. And, that book while out
        > of print, is the most easily available out of print Bolger book. (I
        > see two copies presently for sale right now for under $17 at
        > www.abebooks.com)
        >
        > Here are a few isometric renderings of Monhegan which I made from the
        > plans in the book.
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/hallman/tags/monhegan/

      • John and Kathy Trussell
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2009
          I got hooked on traditional boats when I saw a profile drawing of Monhegan
          in a "Motorboating and Sailing" magazine in the early 70's. I subsequently
          ordered a portfolio of plans from PCB which included Monhegan. With the
          addition of a few more designs and an essay on each design, the portfolio
          became Small Boats. As much as I lusted after the lovely Monhegan, I saw a
          picture of one in the 'Launchings' section of "Woodenboat" in the late 70's
          or early '80's. It was apparent from the picture and crew that Monhegan is
          a big model of a Freindship and is too small for normal sized adults to sail
          in (similar to the very pretty but too small Cape Dory Typhoon). Even with
          the simplified concrete ballast, Monhegan is a pretty complicated and
          expensive shape. If you want a small keel boat, I think PCB's Yarrow might
          be a better choice. But I still think Monhegan is the prettiest boat PCB
          ever drew.

          JohnT

          _____